C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, July 26, 2024

Chance to Chuckle

I had a little printing session this morning with fronds from my button fern....so I was up close and personal. I was surprised and delighted to see little white dots framing the tiny leaves. It's like someone had gone in with a white paint pen. That's something I would actually do....so it felt like Mother Nature and I had a little bonding moment.

Not all the fronds had them...but enough to know it's a thing. 


When I printed....I always used at least two layers. 

I arranged three fronds on the prepared paper...put the glass down and set it in the sun for about 45 seconds. Then I put a few more fronds down and a second piece of glass and let it sit for at least 10 more minutes. 

I just love the soft layered look and I think it will be lovely cropped up and stitched onto white watercolor paper. I made these small so the finished size would be 5 x 7 for framing.

Here I used a third layer.....and will certainly do this more often.  There are only two fronds on that third layer....I wasn't even sure they would show up...but they did! 

I have about six prints that turned out well today....and I have a few more that are fine...but have issues. It's not a perfect process.

I do need to be careful when I coat the paper with the solution...here there are a couple white lines. But it's a one of a kind handmade print....so there is bound to be flaws. And I'm good with that.

  
I love a good chuckle....and I'm pretty sure it's good for us!

Our art group's exchange is underway...and Becky set up the schedule of who sends to who....and who picks the theme. We'll make one card a week....and send it to someone in the group. Tracie picked "chuckle" as the first theme for what we're calling our Tiny Pages Art Exchange. We were charged with making"something that made us chuckle either while or after making it." 

I will admit that I was a little baffled at first. Laughter......and chuckling are pretty spontaneous. So making something on demand that might make me or the recipient chuckle was an interesting challenge. I had to mull this one over for several days.

I thought of an idea late one night...had to get out of bed to find the prop I needed and I put my first card in the mail to Becky a few days ago. It's very personal to Becky...so no one else might get it....but no one else has to.

I chuckled all the way through making it...and I hope it makes her chuckle too. Stay tuned....I love a little tease. Once Becky opens it...I can share how this tiny Tiny Art Page....gave me a chance to chuckle.

5 comments:

  1. Your sunlight photo prints continue to dazzle and delight, MaryAnn. They are just SO visually appealing, especially with the layered levels of exposure.

    The chuckle challenges sounds terrific. Love that it posed a puzzle to sort out and then had you chuckling throughout the making. Perfect. I also love that the laugh is very particular to you and Becky—great way to find a solution to the challenge, and I'm eager to see the reveal when it comes.

    I bet I'll find myself thinking over the next few days about what I might make if I had the same challenge and a designated recipient : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes my heart sing Dotty! I was tickled with these particular prints too!

      And as for the Chuckle Challenge.....I would be very interested in what you "might have done." My project is silly...and I can't wait to share it. We all need a little "silly" in our lives.

      Delete
    2. Not sure what I would make for the art representation but the chuckle might go to my friend Martha and make reference to a share (sarcastic) experience during our senior year in h.s. We met at the American School in London, each having left our respective h.s. in the States for senior year. God only knows how this was the case, but we found ourselves in Regent's Park after school one day playing field hockey with girls from a British School. After playing for the early part of the game and then knowing we wouldn't be playing again that day I asked gym teacher Ms. DeLacey if we could be exused. "No," she said. I responded enthusiastically, "Oh, good!" She reiterated, "I said, 'no,'" "I know!" I retorted. "Thank you!" Martha and I thought we were wildly funny and we still laugh every time we retell the story to ourselves!

      Delete
    3. What a great story! I love that it has stuck with you all these years....and that it can still make you chuckle!

      Delete
  2. Ha! I could have sworn I commented on this post. I absolutely love your fern art. I need to do some research as I have no idea how this is done. It’s gorgeous.

    I’ll be interested to hear the back story on this Tiny Art Page blank page.

    ReplyDelete