C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, July 29, 2024

Little things

It was mostly a chore day around the condo....and Paul and I got a lot done. None of it very blog worthy...but there is joy...and certainly satisfaction in checking things off the long list. 

I started early this morning hand watering some of the new landscaping at the pool.  It was lightly misting the whole time...but not enough rain to be beneficial. Not the most pleasant weather to be working in...but I didn't mind getting wet....I was going to swim anyway. I actually take great delight in swimming in the misty rain....it feels strangely special.

My long cloth hose was squiggled along the pavers as I deeply watered a couple new trees while I swam. And much to my delight when I pulled it up the dry imprint of the hose looked painted along the pavement.  

I know I know...it's a silly little thing. But that's my point....why not delight in the little things!

And speaking of little things....after my post about the wild cucumber curls, Gretchen texted me these photos of wild cucumber seed pods she had collected. They look like textile...or wire art. I was smitten.

That got me thinking....I've picked up a few of these not knowing what they were! Sure enough...in my seed pod collection (yes I have one...and it's impressive) were some of my own pods....not quite as weathered as Gretchen's...but still very cool. 

You don't know until you know....and now I know these delightful not so little seed pods are from the wild cucumbers. Cool!         

 

And just when I thought that was enough....there it was.

A dried...and perfectly intact wabi-sabi curl. 

You can't make this stuff up. You just have to notice the little things.

4 comments:

  1. Indeedy-do! You just have to notice the little things. LOVE your cloth-hose art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These seed pods (and I am glad you have a collection!) remind me of something Mirjam Gielen might create. Here's a story about her from the UK site https://www.textileartist.org/mirjam-gielen-down-to-earth-embroidery/ More of her work is on instagram, but I don't know if you view the site. I also love your indigo prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, meant to comment as gmail manninglm54

      Delete
  3. I love your view of the world. :D

    ReplyDelete