C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Those Beautiful Leaves

Dotty asked me what the beautiful red leaves were in the Summer Colors post from a few days ago. 

I went back to the pond to investigate...and they were just as fabulous as I remembered. They look like little flames.

The plant is Gaura...or Whirling Butterflies. How fun is that name! The leaves started all green...and only recently have I noticed them starting to turn red. I'm going to keep an eye on them!

The flowers are on long stems and whirl and fly around....like their namesake. 

There is a group in our Condo Association planting all kinds of flowers in the berm around the pond that bloom at different times. 

The Whirling Butterflies are fun to watch in the breeze on their long stems along with the Queen Anne's lace. And today there was also a dragonfly darting around....and another pink lacey bloom. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Whirling Butterflies! Dave is the gardener here but he happily takes my requests, and I plan to request some gaura. Thank you for doing the research in response to my query, MaryAnn.

    In a walk with my sister early this morning I saw countless Queen Anne's Lace blooms. No pink ones this morning but the intermittent reward keeps me noticing QAL up-close-and personal more than I might otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous! I hope Dave finds some gaura! And I keep looking for the pink QAL too.....and I smile when I come across it! Thanks for getting me up close and personal with the whirling butterflies plant again!

      Delete
  2. I have Gaura in one of my flower beds. Mine have pink flowers. But the foliage makes for a gorgeous plant even when it isn’t blooming.

    ReplyDelete