C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, November 5, 2018

Tweaking...Part One

I love this graphic by Samarra Khaja. There's no place for hate in our world. We can do better...we must BE better.

I stopped in Dr. Adams' office today to put a few things up and ended up having a wonderful conversation with Mary.  She was interested in hearing about my pieces and appreciated the variety of media.  She ended up buying one of my photo pieces I called "Dusk" and needless to say I was thrilled.  She also pointed out that because my art was affordable...it's easier for it to be out there in the world...and that's where it needed to be.  She made my day! 
I felt like I had plenty of pieces this time...and the cohesion (I thought) was the "stacks" and fabrics choices.  Much to my dismay...I didn't pay all that much attention to sizes and shapes.  Kind of ironic when the last time I started with the canvas sizes that worked well together before I ever started sewing. Then I made sure the pieces flowed from one to the other. This time I just kept joyfully making pieces without giving dimensions or design flow much thought.  Oops!

That first piece I made was quite different than the rest...the tall skinny piece I'm calling "City Sunset."  I thought it worked well with the birch piece and some of my other bright pieces for the focal wall...but Dr. Adams didn't agree.
With a lot of fiddling we came up with this grouping for that wall leaving those two odd ball pieces to work in somewhere else.
Most of the other stack pieces were purples, blues and greens.  Dr. Adams liked the individual pieces...but the fact that all the "stacks" were oriented at the top made them awkward next to each other. I saw what she meant but I never even thought about it being an issue. 

Dr. Adams actually turned "Wildflower Field" upside down so the stripe stack was at the bottom....and I will admit it made me a little crazy.  I totally understood what she was saying but I had to come up with a better solution.



Do you see upside down piece at the end? Luckily it sold on the first day so was able to take it down today and replace it.



When I was in Maine I worked on two pieces for that wall...one with the stack oriented at the bottom the other vertical.


   
I embellished them a little today before I hung them. The sticks, fibers and confetti dot fabric tie in with a other pieces. I also added a little woven piece  on driftwood...mostly for variety and continuity of the fibers.  Just as I was writing this draft I got a text from Dr. Adams that the driftwood piece just sold and one of the Tiny Trees.  I guess I'm off and running.
 
I was able to move "City Sunset" to the diagonal wall so it's all by itself...and flows from the focal wall.  And I just started working on a bigger quilt piece for the other focal wall at the far left of this picture. That's tweaking part two.

That first glass piece looks good next to the two photos....the bottom one is the one that sold.  I'll make another one to replace it.
And here's the last view around the corner.  
So all is well...it does flow a little better. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment