C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Rock From My Garden

It was a breezy but beautiful Mothers' Day....and I spent a few hours this afternoon working in the gardens in Lexington channeling my mom. 

moss rose image found online
I have a very clear image of her working in her rock garden....and I especially remember her planting moss roses.  The front door to our farmhouse was on the driveway side so this garden was always front and center.  There wasn't a spigot on that side of the house...or anywhere actually...so she used to fill a bucket from the pump and I can still see her sitting on the ground filling each hole with a cup of water as she planted.

As I was digging in my garden my shovel hit something hard about 8 inches down.  I dug around it so I could I lift whatever it was out.....and I think I found the best Mothers' Day gift ever! I had already been thinking about my mom IN HER rock garden....and I got the gift of a rock FROM MY garden. I've been digging in this garden for 11 years....and just found this rock today. Coincidence?  I think not.  I love that it looks like a massive potato!


It's all cleaned up and will be heading to its new home in Maine this week....it will always make me think of my mom.
And this gives me a chance to share this scene from the back patio in Lexington.  There's a redbud, some sort of white flowering tree, a large red maple, lots of spring green, and that pretty blue sky on the other side of the fence.  And...on my side a profusion of pink from the verbena shrub and a garden coming to life.


These photos are from another vibernum on the other side of the house.  Such a sweet flower....and so fragrant!                                                                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment