C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Shop the House

"The reason why a good story draws us in is because it helps reflect back to us the goodness in our own stories." Morgan Harper Nichols

I removed the two spent blossoms on my rain lily this morning.....this tidying up ritual reminds me of the beauty and wonder of the wabi-sabi circle of life in nature.  

As I continue operation "finish decorating the downstairs" I came up with a solution for a spot that had been bugging me by just shopping the house. I love using what I already have. 

So here I go again......if you have the patience for my rambling....here's another decorating story. 


It all started with this hand painted wooden bowl...I love the bright color and whimsy. 

I bought it at a craft fair years ago and it had a perfect spot displayed on a shelf in my kitchen in Lexington for a happy splash of color. But it hadn't found a home yet here at the condo and I just couldn't send to the consignment store or put it in the Goodwill box. A few days ago I literally walked around the house holding it in different places looking for a home.

I have to backtrack to my dilemma with this wall.  The large cupboard I inherited from Connie is still my favorite new piece in the condo.  Ever since I hung these art pieces I felt like it was unbalanced. Something was needed next to the cross stitch and I've been mulling it over ever since.  Do you see the multi colored tile on the left on the cupboard?  I auditioned the bowl in the stand and I loved it.  That freed up the tile. 


There was a second complimentary tile on my buffet next to my puzzle table.....you can barely see it there by the lamp.  I had an idea for both.


They became the perfect compliment to the cross stitch. The colors and shapes mimic the parcels the mother and son are carrying.
Now it feels more balanced without being symmetrical....and I love the yellow bowl in this space.  The dried poppy seed heads in the plant are just a thought at the point....they need a little tweaking.  But I'm happy this decorating dilemma was solved by just shopping the house.


And here's an update on the entry hallway.  I love the shelf....and I'll keep I'll keep shopping the house until I get the shelf accessories right. I took down the sun tile....which was the right move (thanks Patty)...and with the addition of the shelf this space feels more balanced too.  And right now....I'm liking the breathing space between the cluster and the two prints.  I'm making progress!


3 comments:

  1. Hello MaryAnn, I found your blog a while back and I look forward to it every day, I love that you notice the small things and that they bring you so much pleasure. I have been the same way since as far back as I remember, and now 50 years on I cherish this like a gift. Your home is beautiful, how I should like to wander through all your 'gallery' spaces! I feel very cheeky, but I was wondering - I see lots of circles on and around and in the new entry hallway arrangement, would the dried poppy heads look good here? (I have a ton of dried poppy heads in vases, I think they are exquisite.)
    Sorry this is long, thanks so much for this great blog,
    Keep safe,
    Kate, Bristol, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reaching out Kate....and for following along. It's always nice to hear that there are others out there paying attention to the small stuff....so you can go on as long as you need to. :) All things will be considered in the hallway so I appreciate the suggestion of the poppy pods there. The shelf can't handle a very big vase....but I'll keep auditioning things. I go through that auditioning process for weeks...and even then I may change it on down the road. It's a creative process that I really enjoy. Especially the part of shopping the house. Thanks again for being in touch.

      Delete
    2. BTW Kate...I spent a week or so in and around Bristol a few years back. My niece and her family lived there for 4 years for work and just moved back to the states yesterday. I loved every minute of my stay...what a beautiful part of the world!

      Delete