C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Ribbons and Fibers

The stitched edge is just what this card needed.....now it's finished.  I got a lot of good feedback about this project!  I guess sometimes magic happens in the mess....with just the scraps!

Blogger usually sends me a notification if there's a comment on a post and I ALWAYS respond. But I was only contacted about one comment today....and when I went to reply there were several there on yesterday's post.  And I looked back a little farther and there were several more on other posts.  Oops!  THANK YOU.....your comments and feedback are heartwarming and helpful and I'm sorry I didn't catch them sooner.  Welcome to those of you who are new to the blog!  I did go back and respond to all the comments I think I missed.  

Several weeks a blog reader contacted me about my collection of fibers. Margaret is a quilter....and a quilt judge actually....so has quite a fabric collection...but not many fibers. She asked if I had an online resource I could steer her to....and unfortunately my answer was no. I've collected them over a life time and have been the lucky recipient of dozens of people downsizing their stash.  The line people use is...."MaryAnn will take it".....and I usually do.

My fibers are everywhere at the moment because of Izzy's Seascape class....and the fact that I've been doing some sorting and organizing as I have time. So I decided to share.

Margaret just received a bag of rainbow fibers to play with....remember my wreath?  Most of the swatches are in her bag.

Then I decided to use some of the small fiber scraps for the next round of 4 x 6 cards.  I used the circle ribbon as my starting off point for Brenda's card this past week...and the inspiration for the color scheme. 

I fused strips of fabric onto a piece of interfacing cut a little larger than 4 x 6.. In the end the ribbon may have gotten a little lost with all the other patterns....but I do think it looks OK in person. 

Restraint is not one of my gifts. 


Using invisible thread...I stitched the fiber scraps in between all the seams.


I broke my rule and took this photo at night....the lighting is never good at night.  But I sealed it in the envelope before daylight....so this is what I have to share.  It actually looks kind of terrible...but I thought it looked better in person.  

The colors actually look better in the two photos above. It's a little wild....but also kind of fun.  This exchange project is all about experimenting and just rolling with it.

I finished Becky's card today...and will share it later in the week.  I was only slightly more restrained.

4 comments:

  1. I love the results of your card. Yep - the stitching frames it.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stitched edge just frames it so nicely, MaryAnn. And, this new set of cards is such a creative idea. I have to go look at my scraps now. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne! I'd love to see what you do with your scraps!

      Delete