C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, August 13, 2021

Boho Flowers

Yesterday it was wonky stripes.....today it was boho flowers.

As I wade my way through my studio I often come across bins of scraps from previous projects. ...I don't throw anything away. This time the distraction ended with boho flowers.  

Boho...short for Bohemian: "styles that are defined by a lack of structure, opting instead for carefree layers of pattern, texture and color."

Sounds about right.

I've done lots of versions of torn and cut paper flowers from painted and commercial papers and catalog scraps. Today's project started with a box of scraps from brightly colored catalogs....mostly Gudruns World. 

You can see what I did with them in these posts:

http://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2020/04/who-i-want-to-be.html

http://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2020/04/life-of-its-own.html

Once I started mixing and matching the pieces....there was no turning back.

Using matte medium under and over the pieces I mounted the flowers on a simple bookpage. These pages are pretty heavy so work well and I like the simplicity of the vertical words.

At this point it was OK....the concept still had potential...but these needed more definition....and/or a new twist. The black outline on the red striped petal gave me an idea. 

So I did a little outlining and embellishing and suddenly the flowers came to life....in a cartoonish boho kind of way.  I am going to search the catalogs for different stems next time.....these foiled papers weren't quite right. 

I trimmed it up and mounted it on a a natural notecard....I'm kind of tickled with this little experiment. 


This is still one of my all time favorite torn paper cards.


And speaking of flowers....the 38 inch puzzle is done.  This was a fun one....from the first inch to the last!

No comments:

Post a Comment