C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Seamstress

It waw 54 degrees today....and I'm channeling spring as I think about the patio.

I'm having new covers made for our patio cushions....as well as a few favorite clothing items altered. So this morning I met with Susan, my seamstress.  It's fun to say that....she's only done one slipcover for me...but I think after these projects I can officially call her my seamstress.   

Suan and I talked about how labels have changed to things like "makers" and "sewists"...but she prefers the good old fashioned label of "seamstress."

I enjoyed being in her studio....I've always loved seeing where women create.  She's tucked in the basement of her modest home....but there's a bright window and she's created the perfect setup with a big work table in the middle.

She gave me permission to take photos because I can never resist a rainbow of color. I only took a few...but most of the studio looked just like mine gets at times....overrun with fabrics and a piles of things in progress.  She had photos, notes, art, and inspiration everywhere.  She even had a thread puzzle on the wall.....I felt right at home.  



Paul and I have had beige patio cushions for about 14 years....and this time we're going bold.  I think this navy stripe is a bit understated and classic.

Our umbrella is apple green...so I think they will look good together.  I'm pretty excited for a patio makeover this spring!

I used to make a lot of my clothes when I was in high school...so I guess I was a bit of a seamstress. But not anymore. These days I stick with art quilts, funky faces, and stitching on paper.

But I tapped into my inner seamstress and made a couple of capes for my sister LaVonn's grandchildren.  I had one done shortly after Christmas....and then I got sidetracked.    
Just recently I finished the second one....and got the velcro attached on them both..and they arrived in Wisconsin today.


And as a little bonus...I made two ribbon twirlers so the kids can spread some joy...or a little magic around the room.

2 comments:

  1. What a glorious collection of thread! And the cape- you are now officially Wonder Woman! :)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just love them all lined up like that. And I don't know about the Wonder Woman thing....but my joy for making things stretches pretty wide!

      Delete