C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Something Better

"I don't think outside of the box....I think of what I can do with the box." Henri Matisse

I had a couple of tiny things to add to a birthday package for my sister Nancy....and how lucky was I to have the perfect box on hand! Surprise Surprise!

My plan was to wrap the box in pretty paper....but then I had an idea that turned this simple jewelry box into something better....and it literally took about 5 minutes. 


I connected three scraps of pre-fused fabric by overlapping the seams just a bit and ironing them on a piece of release paper. Next I cut it into a square just a bit smaller than the the box top using my rotary cutter.

Using the release paper as a pressing cloth...
I ironed/fused the square right onto the box top. 

I found the little prefused "JOY" in my stash....and thought it was the perfect finishing touch.  A simple box....became something better


That's what happened for me with the Ounce of Joy giveaway project.  It started with a simple idea with a clever name and it became something so much better. And I've heard from enough of you to be believe that it just might have been OK on the other end too.

It was so much fun for me to read all the things that bring you joy....and that for some one of them was reading the blog with your morning coffee....or before you go to bed at night. I have connected with many of you over the years....and I have loved that. And now through this project I've now connected with a few more....and I didn't expect how emotional that would be. So thank you for humoring me and participating in this little experiment. And thank you to all of you who continue to follow along.

Since day one I have had the words "Collecting, Creating and Connecting" at the top of my homepage.  This project celebrated them all at the same time!

One last joy came in....celebrating the friendships with her two grown daughters....and the fact that they entrust her with the care of their sons.  Joy indeed!

I sent out 26 envelopes....and you know how I like a good map....so here's where they went.  I hope that I didn't miss anyone.  The stars may not be accurately placed...but hopefully they're in the ballpark.  If you participated and don't see a star near you...or didn't receive an envelope (some may take longer)....please email me again at joyfulputtering@gmail.com  There are still plenty of snippets! 



4 comments:

  1. Alaska! New Zealand! Scotland! How fun! Sometimes the depth and breadth of the internet is just amazing! Your Matisse quote is so appropriate for the post- and your love of boxes.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! The connections that are able to make across miles boggles my mind. Thanks Kathy!

      Delete
  2. You come up with the best ideas to add sparkle to the ordinary! I love my ounce of JOY that arrived in my mailbox! It's going to be fun to use the little tidbits in something fun and sparkly. :) Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona! Your comment made my day! If every day we could just add a little "sparkle to the ordinary"....wouldn't we all just be a little better off! So glad you like the tidbits! You're so welcome!!!

      Delete