C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

"AN OUNCE OF JOY"

These little tufts of snow in the backyard caught my eye.

Becky, Tracie, Brenda and I have been quietly working on the second round of our shared art project.  I explained what we're doing here in this post....so I won't repeat......but I will say that this second round has gotten me even more excited about the project as a whole. 

I just put Becky's booklet in the mail to Brenda as it continue its journey around the circle.  I loved Becky's theme...and I can't wait to see what's next. Becky has been working on Tracie's booklet...and will be passing it on to me sometime in the next few weeks.

I can't write about what's in the booklets until the end of the project....which won't be until April.

Did you notice the plaid envelope liner? It's just a piece of scrapbook paper I added to the envelope for a little pop of color surprise....something I learned in Fodder School.

Just after Christmas Daryl contacted me to see if I had any interest in 200  5 by 7 inch envelopes. The company that made her Christmas cards sent a double order by mistake....and it seemed a shame to just recycle them. 
Of course I would take them....how could I not!


They're nice quality envelopes...and the larger size is handy for mailing art trades.

The corners on the flap were a little stark.....
.....so I softened them with a corner punch.


I know it's subtle.....


......but I think it makes a difference....especially from the inside  


I have lots of other miscellaneous envelopes too.....most of them smaller....and they all more fun with a liner. This one is decked out with a gelli print.


As you know....I've been in an ongoing studio organizing project and I had a little bit of an awakening in the past week or so.  

It is becoming more and more clear to me that it doesn't make any sense to sort....and then just store all my little snippets and practice projects. I will ALWAYS be painting...snipping...and puttering..... 
....and there's no sign of stopping.


I'm going to put together some little packets to sell....and even frame a few pieces.  But I'm also going to have a little fun giving some of these bits and pieces away.  

I'm going to use some of these envelopes from Daryl (and others I have collected) for a giveaway project just for blog readers.  I'm still working out the details....but tomorrow I will launch what I'm calling "AN OUNCE OF JOY."  All the details will be right here tomorrow.....I'm kind of excited.

I'm actually excited about a lot of things....and I'm going to do my best to balance it all. Here's a little watercolor experiment I came across today....

I taped off the grid...then painted....splattered and doodled. It's a little much when it's one big piece.....

....but it's rather sweet cut a little smaller. 
Each square is mini abstract work of art.


And I just bought some simple 8 x 8 frames for the collages I made last October in Fodder School. I wrote about them here: http://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2022/10/collage-series.html  

The collages are made from hand painted papers and my own paper cuts... and are mounted and stitched onto watercolor paper. 

My plan is to take them to my local consignment store and see if I can get a few bucks for them.  (Unless I get a better offer 😉) My hope is to at least cover the cost of the frames...and maybe have a pizza dinner. 

7 comments:

  1. This will be so much fun! I do love all those pastels. You have quite an eye for combining them. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne! We'll see how this goes....but one thing is for sure...I'll never stop playing with color!

      Delete
  2. So many fun things in one post! Who knew envelopes could be so beautiful?
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha....I did pack a lot in....and t's a window into my brain right now. The envelopes are fun and easy. The trick is to glue them only on the flap so they close easily. A good way to use papers and have a little surprise.

      Delete
  3. Oh boy - I love what the bit of scrap book paper does for the lining of the envelopes. I can envision doing the same for a birthday card - matching the lining with the wrapping paper for the gift. I don't use a lot of wrapping paper (gift bags are too convenient), but the idea is there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thought - remember those atlas pages? Lining the envelopes with that stuff! :-D Great for a traveler.

      Delete
    2. Yes...it's such a simple idea.....and you can coordinate it and compliment just about anything. I'm trying not to buy wrapping paper either but I have a whole bunch of scrapbook paper I will never use...and I just thought about stitching some together to make wrapping paper for a small gift...then coordinate the envelope! The ideas are endless! And the atlas pages are also an excellent idea! Thanks for chiming in Elle!

      Delete