C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Child or Artist?

I had the pleasure of spending the whole afternoon with my niece Clarke.

We walked and talked...and even puttered a bit. She helped me move a few pieces of furniture and tackle a few tech projects...and I helped her dream and scheme about decorating her Chicago condo. It was a win win for both of us sort of day.

I haven't gotten out and about as much this week as I had hoped to....but I remembered that one of the things Phillipa offered up for the Conscious Creativity class this week was to create our own movement.

So after some chores and before Clarke arrived I spent some playing with marbles and paint.  I felt like both a child and an artist....and I had a blast. I wonder if this is how Jackson Pollock felt after doing a painting.

This is how I started...watercolor paper taped into a box.....a handful of marbles and a few drops of liquid watercolor paint.

Using my overhead tripod...I taped my little session.

I have the actual slow motion video of ...and the final painting that implies actual movement. Hopefully I'll be able to piece together a montage for a some of my Rhythm and Movement homework.  We'll see....tomorrow is already Friday and I'm getting together with Clarke, her boyfriend and Margie again before they head out of town.
This is what it looked like before I took the tape off....which is pretty cool on it's own!

Child...or artist? Both....I think.

7 comments:

  1. You totally found your movement mojo today, MaryAnn! I haven't done marble painting in ages but have loved it when I've played with it in the past. Nothing better than full joy in both process and product. Outstanding!

    Your day was a robust win from start to finish : )

    I'll try not to wake you when I sneak in to abscond with those pieces of tape in the night!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember doing marble painting as a kid....it was oddly satisfying. Joy in both process and product is a good way to phrase it.

      I may go with this child thing and find a swing and do a little swinging today!

      And yes....I love the washi tape byproduct more than the painting!!!

      Delete
  2. I love your painting. The color choices are especially beautiful together and really set it off. The white border looks very professional and I like it. I’m about to start Gelli printing this weekend due to your inspiration. I’m watching Robyn McClendon videos and waiting for supplies this afternoon. I’m even hoping to use some of the prints with my tube project (another of your inspirations). The joy continues. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Louise! It was a silly...but fun little exercise all to get a little rhythm and movement video. And NOW I have a little painting to do something with....and some fun painted tape.

      Oh...I'm so glad your diving into gelli printing! It's one of my favorite things to do. I was just talking to one of the women I've been working with about using gelli print for paper tubes. We did a little experimenting....and they were really gorgeous! Yay!

      Delete
    2. That’s great! The rest of my supplies come Tuesday but I may experiment before then.

      Delete
  3. I'm playing catch up this morning - I love your marble "raceway" piece. I think it would stand on its own merits in a great plain white frame. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...I didn't think of it as a raceway...but it kind of was. I filmed it in slow motion! I do think it would be pretty in a frame....I'll mull it over.

      Delete