C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Special Object

Paul and I visited the hackmatack tree this morning...

and I think the pine needle buds are just starting to form!  I can't wait to watch the needles emerge!  

I'll be keeping a close eye on it!   

In addition to looking and photographing this week...we're also spending some time with objects for the Conscious Creativity course.  One object I chose was this roller I got from my dear friend Connie years ago.  It's very hard plastic...not a soft brayer like I use on my gelli plate.  I've never known what to do with it...but just recently I've discovered a use...and maybe even what it's intended for.  

I am getting big head start on covering 300 Christmas match boxes for Folly 101.  Much of the Christmas paper I use is a lightweight cardstock...so it's hard on my hands and thumbs to repetitively fold and crease.  

But once I wrap the paper around the matchbox and get a light fold.....the roller does the creasing.  It works perfectly...and once again I'm thinking of Connie while I craft.

I've been trying to do a handful in the evening... so it sits here by my TV chair. 

We were supposed to collect a bunch of random objects and put them where we could see them all week.  I have a crazy assortment of objects...including ALL the winter found objects that were sitting here and there around the condo.

I chose to put it all in the butter bowl and keep it on the table.  There are a few other odd things...a dead branch I found under my norfolk pine...a spent Christmas cactus bloom, some leaves I found pressed in a book and some other things I picked up in the yard.  The rest of the things were just at hand for one reason or another....including Connie's roller and my eclipse viewing screen.


It's an odd assortment of stuff....almost of it found. Later in the week we will be doing something with it. 

And I just added the tiniest found object ever!  Do you see it there on the ball! I have not idea how Paul saw this!  


6 comments:

  1. Hackmatack is such a satisfying word. And you have a very satisfying bowl of random (found) objects. AND, if using that hard roller to save your hands/thumbs some wear and tear isn't satisfying, nothing is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love saying hackmatack...and I love typing it.

      Also...couldn't agree more about the roller....there's something so satisfying about using a vintage tool...especially when it's from someone you loved.

      Delete
  2. Just a quick comment. You may already know this.... but just in case....I believe the tiny found object is a bead cap used in jewelry making. I have many of them. I can't even guess how a single bead cap would be randomly deposited. Maybe someone broke a piece if jewelry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought.....thanks for the clarification Sarah! I'm guessing a piece of jewelry broke...but it's so amazing that Paul spotted it!

      Delete
  3. No offense to Paul, but if he "found" the bead cap, I'm guessing he put it there. The ball is in a different position compared to its surroundings...and he has been known to do those cutesy tricks, right? :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....I think you are doing some detective work here Mary! Good for you for really paying attention to the details!!! In Paul's defense...he handed me the bead cap and I put it on the ball. I do think he found it...but he most certainly does these cutesy kinds of tricks!

      Delete