C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, April 15, 2024

SO SWEET!

I've been intrigued by Roben-Marie Smith's 100 day project where she's been taking scrappy bits of this and that and stitching them together using water soluble fabric. 

Roben-Margie Smith
She's been using a combination of things including paper scraps...bits of artwork....fabrics and lace. They're oddly interesting...like little stitched stories.

You can check them out on her Instagram page: 

https://www.instagram.com/robenmarie/


I came across a small tray of tiny bits of a vintage quilt I deconstructed for an art class a while back and I just couldn't bear to throw them away. They seemed perfect for a little Roben-Marie inspired experiment. 

Isn't this tomato tray from Janice SO SWEET! I've got several...and use them all the time. 

The quilt scraps are fragile and tattered.......and that's why I love them so much.

They have a history....a story...and I love to imagine what that might be.

I arranged a few scraps on a small piece of water soluble fabric....

then put another piece on top and stitched a grid.

I rinsed away the soluble fabric in warm water....leaving a bit of the residue to give the piece a little stiffness when it dried.

I could have rinsed all the soluble out so it would feel more fabric like again...but I wanted some structure.  It's like a starched shirt.

Taking my cue from the tomato box...I think it's SO SWEET!

I think this could be interesting on a card or in a collage...but I think this one may end up in my art journal.

6 comments:

  1. Another rabbit hole evening, following the link to Roben-Marie's 100 day project. Thanks for sending the link, MaryAnn. AND thanks for photographing your process as you followed R-M's lead in making a stitched assemblage—I had conjectures as to how water-soluble fabric played into the process but also questions, and you answered them all for me visually. Perfect!

    And, omg, that tomato tray. TREASURE!

    SO SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! Water soluble fabric works like magic and it blows my mind every time to watch it dissolve.

      And who knew a cardboard tomato tray could bring so much joy!

      Delete
  2. Really interesting collage composition, MaryAnn! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! I'm kind of chuckling because I didn't even think about the composition....they just landed where they landed. I'm so glad you love it!

      Delete
  3. Love this, as we talked about a bit ago. I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete