C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, January 21, 2018

They Needed Color

About 10 years ago there was a 5 month period when Paul and I lived in different states. Paul was starting a new job in Madison, Wisconsin, I was finishing a teaching post in Portland, Maine, and our youngest son Sam was finishing his senior year in high school. There are all kinds of things to reflect on from that time period, but this post is about one letter Paul wrote to me about his sparsely furnished bachelor pad.  It was kind of a funny letter describing the almost "locker room" decor being "drab to the point of ridiculousness." But what what was most surprising is what he had come to realize....HE NEEDED COLOR! And for a guy whose favorite color is gray...that's saying a lot. 

 Did you know that Jim Carrey was an artist?  He needed color too!

https://vimeo.com/226379658
I stumbled across this video and was quite taken with the passion and thoughtfulness Jim puts into his art work.

"I found myself looking around at a very bleak winter in New York...I think I NEEDED color."  Jim Carrey




"You can tell what I love by the color of the paintings...you can tell my inner life by the darkness in some of them....and you can tell what I want by the brightness."  Jim Carrey  

For those of you who know Paul you won't be surprised that he added color by displaying record album covers on the mantle.  We all have our gifts....and most of us need color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment