C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Lessons Learned...

...again.

"You must not ever stop being whimsical. And you must not, ever, give anyone else the responsibility for your life."
Mary Oliver  (thanks Linda)

Like I said yesterday this little quilt was practice....it has several issues and I relearned valuable lessons about topstitching and binding.  First of all I need more variety in the topstitching.  All the patterns in this piece are too similar in kind and scale. I also need to be more thoughtful about when and how I use variegated thread....I'm not sure I like it on the dark blue. Basically I just need to plan a little better and that's always a challenge for this "just wing it" gal.

I wanted to mount this one on an 8 by10 black canvas.  I intended to do a borderless binding but when I trimmed the quilt down I forgot to leave the allowance that has to roll...or turn to the back. Oops!

So the only way to make this one work on the canvas was to bind it.  I didn't like any of the solid choices I auditioned and the striped batik was way too busy.  So my solution was to piece together a binding with random strips of the three background colors with a touch of the stripe. I actually think it's kind of whimsical and fun....but I would have liked the quilt better without it. 


I won't point out all the other flaws and issues but just move on and try and remember the lessons learned for the next time. It's not actually attached to the canvas yet....so maybe I'll give it another go. And who knows....maybe it will grow on me.


13 comments:

  1. I love it as is. One suggestion could have been to put a facing all around it and hand stitch on the back.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow loved your buttons that added to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most beautiful piece of joy I’ve seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is so subjective when it comes to art of any kind. You see the 'flaws' I only see the beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janie! You are so right about that....we all see beauty differently. This piece is still knocking around my studio and it needs a home. If you live in the States....I'd love to give it to you. Interested?

      Delete
  5. I love this little quilt! And actually, I especially love your use of variegated thread to quilt the darker blue section. I have lived on the north Atlantic coast for about 30 years and this reminds me of the ocean on a calm day.
    A lttle bit of joy and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marilyn! It does kind of look like the ocean....which is so full of joy and beauty!

      Delete
  6. I love this piece. I want to make my own version. The wiggly vertical stitching on the left side gives more interest and draws the eye to the rainbow colored pieces in the center. The buttons add more interest. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie! This piece has had quite a journey. https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/search?q=handiwork

      Delete
  7. It is a fun quilt and it inspires me to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilt that is full of inspiration !

    ReplyDelete