C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Attitude Adjustment

Attitude is an amazingly powerful thing and can make or break my day. I need this reminder because I was starting to feel a bit of a Scrooge like attitude creeping in....and that's not good for anybody. I've said over and over how I celebrate the joy in my everyday life....and if I have a sour attitude how can I possibly do that.  There's always joy....somewhere.

The most important task in front of me right now is helping Margie get settled and start to feel at home. Most of the work I enjoy....but there are a few tasks that are challenging so it's easy to have a bit of a grumpy attitude....like all the technology. 

But after three days of fiddling and fighting with cords and remotes and what seemed like hours of technical support phone calls I finally have both Margie's TV's working....and that feels good. I should celebrate that!

Yesterday the charging port on my iPhone stopped working.  After a technical support call and a visit to the crazy busy Apple Store at the mall (yes, the mall at Christmas time....) it was determined that it can't be fixed. It's not that old...but the warranty had expired so there's no choice but to buy a new one.  For reasons that are too complicated to explain I won't have a phone for a few days. We don't have a landline at the condo so I have no way to make or take calls or send or receive texts.....and I can't take pictures. But it is what it is....so I have to shift my attitude.

I can communicate with people by e-mail....and unless I have an emergency...I really don't need to talk to anyone.  As a matter of fact I don't mind being quiet. And it's actually possible for me NOT to take pictures....the world will not end. The very first lesson in the Consciously Creative class was to take time to observe the world without your camera....so you can really just look and be fully present with whatever is in front of you. So that's what I'll do.

This last story is actually Margie's...but I don't think she'll mind if I share it here because it fits right in.

Although there will be wi-fi in the apartments eventually...there isn't now.  So if Margie wants to check her e-mail or my blog she has to go to one of the public spaces.  It would have been easy to just let it go and not bother....but bright and early this morning she carried her lap-top down one floor and sat in the chapel so she could get on-line. Much to her delight the large windows in the room face east and she was able to watch the sun rise over the horizon. She stayed there for a good long while enjoying this meditative space recognizing that this inconvenience turned into an opportunity for joy.

I think we both have better attitudes at the end of this day. 

The images in this post are other people's photos that I collect on my Tumblr page....which is starting to look a lot like Christmas.  You can check it out here. Some of the images are animated and just a delight....and are certainly helping me shift away from my Scrooge-like attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment