C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas Eve!

I grew up in a big family on a small farm in Wisconsin.  Christmas Day was kind of chaotic....we all got up at different times and immediately opened any presents with our name on it. There was always good food and someone to play with so it was festive and fun.

But Christmas Eve was different.  We generally worked all day stripping tobacco listening to the radio and probably singing along. We always had a goal of being done with tobacco for the season by Christmas....but I'm not sure we ever did.  We were all home from school so Christmas Eve was a work day...but we would quit in time to get cleaned up, load the car, and head to grandma's house on the edge of our small town.

I loved going to Grandma's house.  She had sparkly crystal dishes, a chandelier that looked like an upside-down wedding cake and flowery wallpaper.  It always seemed special.  I can still see the foil cupcake liners sitting by each place setting with nuts and special treats. The toys were in their usual place in the basket behind the chair...and although they were always the same they seemed new every time we visited.

Seven of the nine of us with our grandma and grandpa Funk on Christmas Eve in 1961. 
I was the youngest at this point almost 2 years old. 

A summer picture of all nine of us with Grandma.  Can you pick me out?
We traded names with my siblings and Christmas Eve was when we exchanged those gifts.  I don't have any distinct memories of any one gift....but I have clear memories how that whole day felt. From the anticipation we felt while working in the strip house to being crammed in the car sitting on the laps of my older siblings to the smells and sounds at grandma's house....
Christmas Eve was always my favorite.

I had to adjust as a grown-up.  My husband has always been a minister so Christmas Eve is a work day and he doesn't get to stop mid day like we did.  I was busy with our two boys when they were growing up...but once they left the house it has mostly been a solitary day for me and I've come to love that too.

In recent years my son Sam has joined me for the evening and this year was no exception. We had dinner, a nice visit, and went to the 8:00 service together.  It's whatever we want it to be and we reinvent it every year with no pressure or agenda. Even still...Christmas Eve is my favorite.

4 comments:

  1. What fabulous memories of Christmas traditions past and now. Thank you for sharing, enjoyed your story. Merry Christmas to You and Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pictures. And I remember your grandma's house. I was there with you at least once.

    ReplyDelete