C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Cherished Possession

One of my most cherished possessions is a glass cake stand I got from my mother.  It was a wedding gift to her and my dad almost 70 years ago on June 11, 1949 and it was constantly in use for birthdays and celebrations. I even remember my mom turning it upside down as a center piece using the base as a vase for flowers or greens and the underside of the top for things like easter grass and eggs. It was well used...and well loved.


As often as I can for any celebration I bake something I can serve on the stand. For the staff Christmas party last week it was a cranberry orange bunt cake.                                                        

I'm not really sure why I was the one who got it....but maybe it's because I have the best childhood story associated with it.

I don't know what year it was...I was older so either junior high or high school my parents were going to be away on my birthday. My mother, being the loving and loyal mother she was, baked me a cake, placed it the stand complete with frosting and candles, put it in a box, and took it to my grandmother's house where I would celebrate my birthday.  Well...it tipped over inside the box on the way and the cake was everywhere...candles all mixed in.  But she and my grandmother just piled it back on the stand and added new candles. It was the most memorable cake I ever had.  I even remember the gift I got that year....and I'm not sure I can name any other.  (a blow dryer)

A few years after Paul and I were married I found a cheese board with a glass lid that is the perfect size for the stand....so now I even have a cover for it.  I love my cake stand!

2 comments: