C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Tree Day!

It's December 2nd.....the 40th anniversary of Paul's and my first date....better known as "tree day" at the Shupe house.  You can read the story behind Tree Day here in this post.

I will admit that sometimes the tree goes up when it works....and that happened to be a few days ago. Today was a big day at church...the 149th consecutive manger Sunday where we collect money and gifts for City Mission who distributes it to those who need a little help this time of year. It's an extraordinary event!

Right after church I headed to Maine...so you can see why the tree went up early.  But happy Tree Day anyway!

On my way through Portland I stopped at "Art on the Hill" one of my favorite craft shows. I had the best visit Lisa Cutler a nurse turned artist from New Hampshire. Her jewelry is fun and whimsical and her spectacular colors drew me right in. 

I came home with this funky beaded piece Lisa calls her "loopy necklace."  It's one long piece that can be worn a variety of ways...a bit of a clever puzzle actually. 



If you visit Lisa's Facebook Page you can watch a video of how it works....as well as photos of her beautiful jewelry and booth at Art on the Hill that drew me in.

"After working for more than two decades in the hospital, I revel in the tangible and beautiful results I see after just one day in the studio. A mass of gems and glass beads is transformed into something that will make someone else as happy to wear it as I am to create it.  I guess that making people's lives better, either through art, or through nursing, is what I do. And who I am." Lisa Cutler

I love making a personal connections with artists! I enjoyed our visit...and I love my necklace!  Thanks Lisa! 

And I had the good fortune to run into another artist while I was at the show...my dear friend Anne.  And....my son Sam is staying with me at the condo tonight. Another very joyful Tree Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment