C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Art and Craft

I've made Margie a lot of notecards over the years...many of them from her own coloring pages.  She's such a great note writer....and how special is it for someone to get a card from her with her own artwork...and a little of my craft. We make a good team!

There's something very soothing about outlining the punched inchies in black sharpie...a perfect mindfully mindless evening activity.  The black edge gives each little square a crisp frame...making them ready for card production.

I'm revisiting the angled placement inspired by my friend Lynn because I don't have to worry about keeping the squares so straight.  I'm not sure if I've written about this process before so I thought I'd show how I do it. It's such a simple useful method for using punched squares from photographs, Christmas cards, recycled art...or whatever.

With a glue stick I randomly start glueing the squares on a piece of card stock. The angle doesn't matter and I use the edge of the square to place the next one.  It always works out in the end.
I keep adding squares in the staggered brick pattern until I fill in all the big spaces.



Next I snip off the extras and use these pieces to fill in the smaller spaces.

I give the whole thing a trim with my rotary cutter and outline it again in sharpie.  Again, that black edge gives it a nice finish.

 

I mounted it on green card stock and glued it onto a blank card. 


For this one I used squares from the same coloring page giving it a nice cohesion.

Sometimes there's the tiniest of spaces that just can't be filled in so I just give that side a little extra trim.                                                                                   



I know you're reading this Margie...so there will be something under the tree that won't be a surprise. Merry Christmas coming!

There are so many fun things you can do with punched squares and I've written many posts about them.  You can click here to see those posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment