C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Fun A Day

One of my greatest joys is inspiring...and helping someone to do something creative.  My friend Anne participates in "Fun A Day" in Deer Isle Maine.  Participants work on some sort of creative project every day for the month of January and share and celebrate their work with the community at the end.  It's that "creative daily practice" thing that I'm such a fan of....and January is the perfect month to settle in and make stuff!

This year Anne was inspired to do a cathedral window quilt project making one square a day and the inserts to go with it.....and I helped her get started.


There are 31 days in January....which is an odd number to work with.  My recommendation was to make a wall hanging that was three 3 by 10 squares...with an extra at the bottom. I did this mock up to help with the planning. I used my quilt I'm working on folded so Anne could see how big it would be using 6 inch (they get folded down to a smaller size) background squares. She decided to start with 8 inch background squares making the whole piece a little bigger.

This mock up has 31 background squares giving her places for 48 inserts.  In the end she's  probably going to add a 32nd square at the top and use it as a table runner.



A couple of days ago I gave her a tutorial....and she cut a swatch from over 50 of my batiks for the insert squares. I love being not only a teacher...but a resource! 
Anne is back home in Deer Isle now and sent me this photo of all her batiks laid out, her dark green background choice, and her first square.  I had to chuckle when I zoomed in and realized she folded the green square with the seams facing out....so I quickly called her and got her back on track.  Watching out for each other is especially important about our age!  Anne is going to keep me posted on her progress....and I can't wait to see how it turns out.




I had forgotten that I had made a cathedral window ornament for Margie and Dave's tree years ago. Her living room in Colorado at the time was decorated with lots of teals....hence the color choice.....but it's a nice contrast to the Christmas reds and was fun to see hanging on her little tiny tree.  All of her ornaments have a story!

No comments:

Post a Comment