C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, January 17, 2020

Practice Patience

...and trust the process.

When I take a class from a professional artist it's always worth it....and I always have to practice patience and trust them and the process.  I'm usually so excited about where we will end up that I forget there are all kinds of important learning steps along the way.  Practice patience...and trust the process...that has to be my mantra.

Last week we introduced ourselves and gathered our supplies for the Fabulous Florals class..  This week we purchased the flowers that will serve as our muse and inspiration and are practicing on single bloom underpaintings.

We are looking for shading, shadows, and simple shapes....not worrying about details and being too literal. We are encouraged to put our own spin on things.  I love the kale ....which is what drew me to this flower bunch in the first place.....but I was afraid to start with that.


I have a table all set up in my studio for painting and printing textured papers with my gel plate to prepare for the collage part....but that's still a few weeks away.  Practice patience...and trust the process. So I set up on my dining room table...and gave underpainting a whirl.  I've already admitted that I'm terrible at painting....and the only way to get better is to practice. Keep in mind that these paintings are not finished products....we will be collaging on top with our torn painted papers. (which I'm waiting patiently to learn to do)  I'm letting go of my embarrassment...and sharing my practice paintings....I've got a lot to learn.  I exaggerated the size of a little burgundy mum for one painting and the green berry looking filler for the other.  

Next I tried a version of the reddish spiky looking flower.  At this point I'm going to practice a little more on paper....and maybe even give the kale a try.  These are on wooden paint panels making them easier to collage....but one can only use so many little flower collages. And if I don't collage them I can paint over them and use them for something else.
Next week we will be sketching and underpainting a whole bouquet....yikes. Don't be surprised if it looks nothing like my inspiration flowers.  I still can't wait to paint my papers and start collaging....but I'm going to practice patience...and trust the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment