C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Joy in Giving

Way back when Paul and I were raising our two boys, I worked as a special education teacher at Deering High School here in Portland.  My department was mostly men....and I loved them all. And...I loved my job.

John was head of the department and he was my mentor...and my friend and made a huge impact on my life. After 10 years when I moved on to another school he made me this art piece from some of his found objects.  

Buoy from H. Gray, a lobsterman in Standish, ME

Red plank from a dock at a camp on Sebago Lake here in Maine

Green trim from the same camp

Green chair leg...origin unknown

I loved it then....and still love it today....and it has hung on my porches and patios in all of my houses since 1998.

But it's been sitting in the garage since our move here to the condo....and just today I got it hung on the back of the condo by the sliding glass doors. And while I was hanging is I reread the inscription on the back and got quite emotional.

MaryAnn

Thank you for all you have given both personally and professionally. It has been my privilege to be your colleague.  Keep growing. I hope you find joy in your giving.  Love John

Little did John know how much I have grown to love found objects....and how true that last line would be.

I'm going to try and find John....and and thank him personally.

Getting this second photo from Anita today of her bursting rain lilies just made my day.  It's a  perfect example of the JOY I get in giving.

I shared photos of both Anita and Linda's lilies with my sister LaVonn....who is the one who gave the bulbs to me in the first place.  And she got them from Rose, her mother-in-law.  Lots of JOY in these precious summer blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment