C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, October 9, 2022

"Beyond Words"

I started my post yesterday by saying "interesting things can happen outside of comfort zones."  And the outside of my comfort zone day ran a bit into the evening.  I hardly ever go out at night anymore....especially by myself.  But I headed downtown Portland after dinner to attend this event.....to support my good friend Marita....who is an English teacher by necessity....and a poet by choice.  



Five poets were sitting in the lounge....writing poems on manual typewriters for anyone who wanted...or needed one.  Marita (on the left of the photo) and Katherine (on the right corner) each wrote one for me. 

They asked me a few questions....and I mentioned about recently spending time out of my comfort zone with my drawing project....and finding joy there.  And...the irony of being out of my comfort zone at the this event....after dark.

Here are my "On The Spot Poems" by Marita and Katherine.


Marita knows me well....so wove all kinds of familiar things into her poem....and she asked me to just talk while she was typing.  I was her first poem of the evening....and she was rusty with a manual typewriter.   But I loved her poem....even especially with the typos.....beautiful imperfection.  I did ask her for clarification of the last line....and that is down below.  


Marita's intention for the last line was: ....."making beauty from the 
broken things, lines lost, ledgers of lives not to be forgotten." 

The event was at the Press Hotel on upper Exchange Street.


The doormat....as you enter the hotel.
I was so glad I went....it really was "beyond words."


Katherine Ferrier actually has a custom poetry business...and does special events like weddings.  She always asks what a poetry client needs....saying poems can be healing....like medicine.



Going outside of my comfort zone gave me the chance to see some 
early evening ambiance in Portland.

City Hall...as the sun was setting.


The Courthouse on the way to my car.


And...when I got home....
I did more coloring......outside of the lines of my comfort zone.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a neat experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I'm so glad I got my big girl pants on and went!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gift this would be for someone special or a special occasion. How nice for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....it was awesome! Good things are out there after dark!

      Delete