C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, January 27, 2023

A Thing For Boxes

I admit it....I have a thing for boxes.

I love all kinds and all sizes....because you never know when you'll need a good box ....especially a good box top.

But before I launch into my box story.....here a few joy nuggets from the day.

The snow in the backyard got packed down in the rain and melting....and in the late afternoon light it glistened like meringue. 


And during my sorting I found these two projects....a pretty little watercolor in blues and greens....and a collage mastersheet where I played around with free motion stitching on one end.  Both...have potential....both found in a box.


And my sister-in-law Liz shared some photos of the snow sculptures from a trip to Breckenridge, Colorado today.....pretty incredible! 


Now....back to boxes for those who have the patience for my stories.

As I s-l-o-w-l-y work on my studio project....I'm coming to terms with the fact that my obsession passion for boxes and box tops may be just a bit out of control.  

These are just the ones I have emptied and/or consolidated. There are more that I haven't gone through yet.

I use box tops as trays for pieces and parts of projects....or storage for snippets and offcuts and precious scraps.  And my go to method for cleaning off a work space has been to put everything in a box.

I'm always on the lookout for a good box...or a sturdy box top I can use as a tray. And I get especially excited when they're colorful and pretty.

I got this beautiful box top back in 2016.  It covered a box of pears I got from Connie....I wrote about it here.  (I probably have the bottom too.)  Right now it's holding all the fabrics I painted for Stitch Club.  I love this box top.

Here's another pretty box top with pink stripes holding watercolor scraps.


Not all my box tops are pretty....like this one that holds an odd assortment of stuff. There are cut-outs and snippets.....projects and paintings....and fabulous fodder. I'm overrun with boxes....and all these precious things in them......and it's time to do something about it.


So I've got a few ideas....ways to reduce the number of boxes....and ways to let go of these precious bits of color. It's going to take some time....I'll keep you posted.  


4 comments:

  1. I love boxes, as well. Yours are prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn’t dream of tossing a perfectly usable box, for the same reasons you keep them. They’re all treasures. My son-in-law recently brought three large boxes home, full of beautiful wooden cigar boxes. My daughter had a fit because he is a bit of a hoarder, but I talked her into keeping a few. They, too, are nice pieces of art, ready for holding more nice pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Cheryl! It must be beautiful in Salida! I'm so happy there are other box lovers out there....and a box full of cigar boxes is an absolute gold mine! I'm smiling ear to ear! Thanks for reaching out....and thanks for reading along.

      Delete
  3. The comment above was from Cheryl in Salida, Colorado. Love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete