C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Had It All

I had another one of those moments on our walk this morning when I got a glimpse of scene that made me pause and really look.  Sometimes it's the lines and angles that grab my attention....sometimes it's the colors and textures.  Often it's all of the above.  I think I need a name for these visual moments....because I'm seeing them more and more. Or maybe I'm looking for them more. I'm certainly enjoying them more.

The morning sky was an amber color making a pretty backdrop for the silhouettes of the trees.  I noticed all the roof angles accentuated by the snow, the cupula, the cute flat roofed woodshed with the wreath, and the garden shed with the "P" over the door.  The browns and creams of the siding and shingles contrasted by the red shutters all against the amber sky....it all made me stop in my tracks.  

Yes....this scene had it all.  And the photo doesn't do it justice.
Then there was this scene. I loved the way the stone wall was framed in the snow creating three horizontal layers with the organic shape of the rocks in the middle.  When I studied the photo after I uploaded it....and I loved the contrasting vertical lines of the fence and trees and grass. And the shutter and the red brick house were just a bonus.


I just did a little Google search to try and get some ideas for what to name this kind of scenes. It's amazing what comes up when you ask Google a question. I was lead to vocabulary.com and to the word picturesque.  That word wasn't quite right....but one of the definitions of picturesque was "Strikingly Pleasing."  That's it....that's what I'm going to call these scenes from now on....and I will celebrate them every time!

I found this on our way home.  It's a perfect match to both these strikingly pleasing scenes.

I love posts like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment