C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, January 7, 2023

One Little Corner

I have an amazing studio upstairs in our condo.....it was actually one of the selling points.  When Paul walked into the large upstairs family room he said, "this is the space I've always dreamed of for you".....and we made an offer that day.

As a matter of fact...this was the listing photo....and you can see only 1/4 of the space.  

The door in the back leads into a closet that goes behind that entire wall...and there's one just like it on the other side.  Like I said....it's a dream space.

But ever since we moved here full time 2 years ago and combined our two houses....and 2 craft rooms...it's been a disorganized mess. I just kept creating...making messes upon messes.  

Then, just before Christmas, one of my sisters and I committed to cheering each other on as we tackle our messes....one bin....one space....one little corner at a time.  We sent each other before photos of our first project....and got to work.   

I chose my sewing corner as my starting place....and in case you can't tell...this is the cleaned up version. (For better or worse....I am posting a before photo at the bottom of this post.) I LOVE this sewing corner.....everything is right at my fingertips. It has great light, a large sewing table, all kinds of storage, a cutting table, a regular ironing board and a small ironing station right next to my sewing machine.  It's a big space.....and only one corner of my fabulous studio.  




I like to be surrounded with color and inspiration....I'm guessing there are some minimalists reading this who are bit horrified. 
 

Several of my own pieces are along this wall. The funky blue purse in the middle is made from paper and was a gift from Philippa. On the top of this shelf you can see my swirls of color class project, the one piece I kept from my year long monthly Folt Bolt projects, one of my favorite fabric pieces that didn't sell in a show, and a jar of stars. 

My recent bauble wreath hangs on the left and my Fabulous Florals project as well as one of my Funky Faces are on the right.  

I love this mini ironing station with the wool mat.  It's the perfect spot to iron a seam and it's where I'm making all my fused trees.

This cutting table (from Connie) also serves as a project table.....and I'm surrounded with treasures and things I love: artwork from artists I admire...many of them friends...sentimental collections....as well as snippets and and findings.
My special bottles from Angie are here....as well as this odd little group of animals from Paul.  The whole area is an odd mix of things that warm my heart.


OK....I almost didn't share the before photo....I'm a bit embarrassed...but I was encouraged to go ahead by people I trust.  You have to understand that I'm making things all the time and when I finish something....I make two or three more then start something new.  I just don't take the time....or have the patience to clean up in between.....so it builds up.....and up. I AM going to try and be better.....cleaning up a bit after I do a project. I won't let it get this bad again...wish me luck. 

I have already started on another corner of the studio.....and I'm also trying to organize my closets and storage spaces as well....so that should help. For now....I'm just taking one corner at a time. 
Now please go back to the beginning of the post and 
look at the "after photos" again.  Please!!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh MaryAnn, many of us live in a creative Danger Zone and fortunately we all get out alive, just not always this neatly! The transformation is stunning. You worked hard on this, that’s for sure. It’s such a happy, vibrant, colorful place and it must give you such joy and quietude to be in there. Thanks for the tour. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne! Ha ha...."creative danger zone".....hadn't ever thought of it like that. Paul does worry about my safety sometimes. I'm really just getting started....but at least I've started. More stops on the tour to come. I'm on a roll.....it will just take time because I still have to create in between.

      Delete