C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, October 29, 2018

Fall Sumac

Ever since I brought home the sumac leaves from a walk a few weeks ago....I've been thinking about this project. 
When I brought them in...I put the wet leaves on a dark blue cutting mat to dry and I thought the contrast was striking. The wheels started turning.



It was this photograph below I took on an old table that inspired the arrangement....the branches coming in from all directions.



I used hand dyed fabric because it fuses so well. In hindsight I might have liked a more textured fabric....maybe a tone on tone batik look.  But this is what I chose...so be it.





I cut out leaves and stems from all the colors.  

Starting with the light green branch I fused them one at a time, top stitched...then fused the next one. You can see that I lightly marked my canvas lines with a sliver of soap....I wanted to see where the branches would  wrap around the edges.
.


I could have used thread with a little more contrast....for interest.  But again....we have to live with the choices we make.  The stitching shows up better in person.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment