C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Spring Card Tutorial

Here are a couple of my latest spring gardens....I've mailed over 20 at this point.
               


I've tapped into my metallic papers...all of which were commercial papers I have painted over.  I think the gold adds a little bit of whimsy and bling to the cards and has been a fun way to change things up.  You can see the gold dots on some of the leaves and there's a little touch of gold on the flowers too.
This paper was from a box of cream colored notecards I picked up years ago because I loved the metallic gold chevron pattern. Of course I bought them to cut up.... but I didn't know I would also be painting them. But now they've gone from cream to a pretty spring green and will be a nice companion to the dotted paper for leaves and stems. 
I posted a few of my cards on Instagram a few days ago and ended up having a nice conversation with my friend Dana who also is a creative crafter.  She half joked about me doing a zoom class on making the cards...which got me thinking. 

So I mailed her a starter kit with a sample card, a variety of painted papers and some card stock so she can create a garden with her kids.  I didn't have time to include any directions but today I posted a time lapse video on my Instagram page while making 3 little vignettes.  You can link to that post here.  It's not rocket science.....but you never know if it might be helpful to someone else...or just a little entertainment.

Supplies and instructions for Spring Garden Cards:

A variety of papers  

They don't have to be hand painted but I've grown to love the textures and artsy quality hand painted papers give. All the papers are painted with acrylic paints.

Use old books, junk mail, maps, or school worksheets. Spring catalogs would be a good resource for pre-colored papers. I have tried both cutting my shapes and ripping them.....and my favorite now is ripping. Don't over think it....you just want the suggestion of the shape. I do cut the stems and leaves with scissors or my rotary cutter. 
You can tear the paper to have a white edge or not...and sometimes it works in your favor to define lines.  
Some sort of glue/sealer 

I use either matte medium or a soft gel matte....but Mod Podge would work too.  Lay down some glue and your bit of paper...then go over it with the glue until the piece sets in place. It doesn't take long. You want to use something that is both a glue and a sealer. I let these dry for several hours or overnight before I move on.                                                                                      

A stiff brush
I brush over the bit of paper several times until it sets...so a small stiff brush works well. This is the one that was recommended for my class...and I love it!  I've done most of my little collages on heavy watercolor paper....and some on white card stock which worked too.  The more sturdy the substrate the better. If you paint the background like I have on some...use acrylic paint as watercolors will run during gluing unless sealed.

Colored paper or card stock (if you're making them into cards)

I like adding a little colored border/frame before mounting it onto a card. I glue my image in a corner of the card stock so I only have to cut two sides.  I had some blank cards on hand....but folded card stock would work just fine too.  Or they could be flat like a post card.
Glue Stick....UHU stic is my favorite... and as requested Paul put several in my Christmas stocking so I was well stocked. Pardon the pun!

A glue stick is the easiest way to adhere the image onto the card stock and the folded card.  I always put them under a weight until they are good and dry...and be sure your topcoat is dry before you put them under the weights.  I bought these oversized  marble looking paperweights years and years ago and they have come in handy over and over. I always make sure the sticky side of the card is touching something plastic that it won't stick to....and check it often.  Here I'm using a plastic quilting ruler.                                                                               


Scissors, paper cutter, or rotary cutter

I use a rotary cutter and ruler to make all card stock cuts...it's just easier for me because I can't cut straight with a pair of scissors. I've started glueing them onto the card this way...so they stand like a little garden.  The yellow dots are new too.  Just like my own gardens these cards are constantly changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment