C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, January 21, 2022

Joy In Experimenting

Sometimes I get an idea late at night and I can't go to sleep until I write it down...or explore it a bit.  And this month's Fodder School Lesson by Autumn Moon has propelled me in all kinds of directions.  

So late last night I got up and literally wrote it down on watercolor paper with my fineline applicator.  

This morning when it was dry....I painted a watercolor wash over it.  

Sure enough....the acrylic paint acted as a resist...just as I had hoped.  
Today was supposed to be a cleaning day getting ready for company....but in between chores I kept writing....and painting....and experimenting. 
The watercolor stains the acrylic just a bit making it softer than just writing on the top of a painting. That softness caused by the bleeding is why I like it so much.  I'll cut this piece to use for various projects....


...and I like how I can isolate whatever scheme that will coordinate with what I'm doing.  

Today (and last night) there was joy in experimenting!  
And the downstairs....is almost clean enough for guests.

2 comments:

  1. What a great technique, MaryAnn! A must-try on my list now. What are your favorite watercolors? I’m a Daniel Smith and Winsor & Newton fan, with other random brands thrown in as well. These are just so colorful and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm hooked! Since I just play around I really can't justify those more expensive brands....but I've been pretty happy with the sets by Art Philosophy. I have several difference sets....I think the colors are so vibrant.

      Delete