C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, February 5, 2022

How I Feel

Subtitle: Can A 62 Year Old Woman Pull Off Wearing A Rainbow?

Second Subtitle: Getting A Little Personal For A Few Minutes

Tonight's Sunset
When I was in elementary school I remember the exact moment my weight and height were checked in front of everyone in the class. I was the first girl to reach 80 pounds...and it went on a chart on the wall for everyone to see. It was a pivotal life moment....and not in a good way.

Most of my adult life I have avoided having my photo taken because the image I saw in the photo didn't seem to match how I thought I looked....or at least the way I felt inside.  I've always carried extra weight....partly genetics....and mostly because I just love good food and have very little willpower.

But in an effort to age more healthfully and to try and fight my genetic predisposition for diabetes, I've been on a health mission for about 9 months.  I've lost almost 30 pounds, I'm eating mostly whole foods, watching my carbs and sugar, and getting more exercise...although that's harder for me in the winter.  And for the first time in a very long time I feel better about my health and my body.....and I don't dread having my photo taken.

I'm letting go of clothes that don't fit well anymore and mostly shopping consignment and thrift stores for a few new things. When I found this rainbow cashmere sweater at a local resale shop...I knew it had to come home with me.  

THIS photo....looks like how I feel inside...and I'm in love with my new sweater. And....I think I'm pulling off the rainbow at 62. 

Sometimes JOY looks like this.

8 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! Congratulations on the weight loss, as we all know it is not an easy thing to do. I'm 63, and I have finally realized it is about how you feel, and being healthy, not the number- and this applies to age as well. EnJOY your day- I love your blog!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy! The weight loss was just a bonus of the health journey. Thanks for following along on the blog! EnJOY your day too!

      Delete
  2. I meant to say how great you looked the other night, and how cool that sweater was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....I had Paul take this photo before we came to your house...I felt good! Also....had a GREAT time as always!

      Delete
  3. Well done, you! I identify...except with the doing anything about it part, so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryl...it took getting a little too close to prediabetes that kicked me into gear. That was VERY motivating.

      Delete
  4. Oh, MaryAnn ~ some of those moments seem to follow us all our lives. But damn, Girl - you kicked that one right out the door! You look great and that sweater is the icing on your (low-cal) cake. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha....you're pretty funny. It feels good...the sweater and the healthier me.

      Delete