C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, February 28, 2022

Joyful Inspiration

"She believed that all people deserve love, support, and equality. She believed that her husband was the love of her life, her children were wonderful, and her grandchildren were utterly perfect. She believed that lawns were for kickball, birds should be fed, the dusting and ironing should be put off to later, and curling up with a good book is always a good idea."  

This is an excerpt from the obituary of my neighbor and friend Sandy who recently passed away from a sudden and serious illness.  I'm so glad I knew her....she was an inspiration. 

Another frost photo from Alyson.
Sometimes things pile up all at once that just feel heavy. Several people I really care about are struggling in one way or another with illness and loss....and it breaks my heart. But these people are also some of the very people who so often lift me up in one way or another. I'm grateful to them....and I wish them peace and comfort with their struggles.

These days when my heart is heavy joy is a little harder to find. I was scrolling back through my photos and came across some joy I meant to share...so this is the perfect day to celebrate an artist I admire.


Last time I visited Anne, I saw her finished "embroidery journal." From a distance it looked like a colorful abstract work of art, but up close it was a delightfully detailed year long journal of 2021.

Her project was inspired by these artists on Instagram:


Anne filled each month's wedge with words and images that captured her joys and adventures.  Each month included a yoga pose and something about her three young granddaughters...the rest just unfolded.  
Anne's journal hangs in their condo in Portland under this fabulous art quilt honoring her and her husband Dana's bike trip around the world.  
Joyful inspiration at its best.




No comments:

Post a Comment