C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, February 10, 2019

The Memory Wall

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."  William Morris  

And...I would add "or perceive to be meaningful."

As most of you know, Margie, my mother-in-law, recently moved from a large 3 story home home in Colorado to a cozy one bedroom apartment in Portland, Maine.  Almost every single thing that is now in her home fits into one of these categories....useful, beautiful, or meaningful.

For the third time I got to reinvent Margie's childhood memory wall today.  As I've mentioned before she has quite a special collection of books, plates, and glassware from her childhood...as well as a precious hand stitched childhood project and some wonderful old family photos. Although it still may get tweaked....I think the memory wall is coming together.


It flows nicely into her living space.

I'm going to look for some pretty silks for a bouquet in the corner....it will help soften all the hard lines.  The fern will likely end up back in the living room.
I've always loved these sweet hand "stitches"......and this photo of Margie and her five siblings is one of my favorites.  Can you pick her out? (far left)

 

I'm not sure I've ever put together a silk arrangement in my entire life...but I gave one a try for her sofa table.  But...it's going back to the drawing board as I am going to reinvent it making it a little less tall...and more attractive from the other side. But it was a good first attempt.

And now there's a splash of color by the balcony door....the stripe stack wall hanging from my show that has found a happy new home.  We'll be adding a colorful valance to the door which will brighten up the vanilla window wall you see as you come in the door. 

We have just a few more walls to tend to in the bedroom...but a pretty upholstered headboard is nice new focal point. It's coming along....making Margie's house a home....filled with useful, beautiful, and meaningful things.



No comments:

Post a Comment