C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, November 14, 2022

Bedroom Tour

Colorado boasts 300+ days of sunshine a year.....and although it's been chilly....the sun has been out every day I've been here supporting their claim.


There's been a hard frost here....but some of the tough plants are still hanging on....and you know how much I love the wabi sabi seed pods and flower heads. 

Today was my last full day here in Colorado and it may take me several days to fully share some of what I need to share. Today I'm giving a bedroom tour.  It's not done....but it's far enough along that Liz can take it from here.  

It has a very different feel from the rest of her place. It's soft and feminine....with a soothing color scheme accented with purples and greens somewhat inspired by her love of iris.  Years ago I made this custom stained glass piece that fit perfectly in the window in the bedroom in her last home.  She brought it to this new place and just made it work.  

She had the room painted a soft gray which leans just a bit to blue and purple.  

As you enter her room....one of the first things you see are some of her reader calendar pages framed in this window frame.  I've been making her reader calendars for 9 years.

This leads right into her reading corner there in the back....with a cozy white chair.  Margie...this is where Liz is sits every Sunday when she calls you.  We talked about possibilities for curtains and auditioned this purple scarf. We liked the pop of color and the simple framing of the window....and we found several options online.  She has some of her childhood furniture...and some thrifted pieces....and it all has the same vibe. Now she can shop for a new bedspread.


Opposite her bed is a "Maine wall" of sorts

The purple frame on the far left is just a placeholder....image yet to be found. The red shelf will be painted white and her handyman will retrofit the scrolled shelf for the top.  She will style the shelf after it's painted. The tree was a thrift store find....but flows with a lot of "scrolly" things in the room.  Alyson pointed out that the tree makes the bench feel like a park bench...the perfect place to sit and put on her shoes.


The Maine wall includes the fabric piece I made for her in Maine....a Maine coastal moon photo I took....and a calendar page from Maine artist, Claudia Diller. Liz loves trees.


Next to her bed we created this little vignette.....
and may be one of my favorite little moments.


Sitting on the shelf is a little torn paper card I sent her that she had framed.  

Around the corner is an oak cupboard she (with the help of Langston and Alyson) painted white....with a sea glass green inside which I had fun styling today.  The three framed pieces are all readers....done by an artist who is mostly blind.  They're just precious. 


The bedroom tour wouldn't be complete without one of my favorite little secret moments in Liz's closet.  

I found a book of vinyl clings at a thrift store.  It came with all all kinds of images including birds and butterflies....and flowers and fauna.  I included several pages in Eliza's art box for her to share with her brother.  But I saved the giraffes for Liz.....and I created a little whimsical moment in her closet. It's like a little secret....and something to make her smile.

Tomorrow is my travel day.  It's time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment