C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, December 30, 2023

Anchor Image #4

Subtitle: Stripes and Dots

The final anchor image was my own.....and this is what I wrote to each person when I sent the image:

"I have pinned this piece by artist Jonas Wood on Pinterest several times.  I've always wanted to play with it so this project seemed to be the perfect time to do just that. I believe it's actually a collage.  

I chose it because of the simple shapes and whimsical quality.  There are so many ways it can be interpreted and reimagined using paint and/or collage.  And there's an opportunity to do something fun with the color scheme, the pot and the background...or not. All of that, of course, is up to you.  This plant can become anything you want...or need it to be."

I wanted my piece to be a mixture of paint and collage.  

I played around with a few ideas...but ended up with a simple watercolor that I embellished with catalog snippets.  I really appreciated the varied leaf shapes in the anchor image....but ended up sticking with circles for the leaves and stripes for the table. For better or worse....I'm a stripes and dots gal. 
At first I stuck to greens and blues....

but it changed for the better when I started to add some color.  I used words from a catalog to create the striped tablecloth and embellish the pot...and patterned snippets for a pop of color on the leaves.

I especially like that you can see the word "stripes" peeking through on the pot.

I didn't take too many process photos....but this was my table when I was starting to audition papers. The watercolor was barely dry.  This was also the point where I thought....this could work.


Tracie created a whimsical watercolor and embraced the varied shapes of the leaves of the anchor image.  We all thought her plant pot was especially excellent....and I adore the cats peeking from behind the table. The pops of red were a nice nod back to the one red leaf in the anchor image. Well done Tracie!


Beck reinterpreted the image into a collage tree. Her paint chip leaves mimic the colors and shapes of the anchor image so well....and she added the one striped leaf as a nod back to the anchor image. Becky and I have a long history of looking at paint chips together....so that connection was not lost on me.  She added pinky red stems...also like the anchor image....something I had forgotten about...nice job Becky!


Brenda lovely watercolor potted plant also had red stems....and I really appreciated all the  soft shades of green. Her pot was well done too...nice shading!  She added a few extra pieces of mine that she saw on my blog....description to follow.  When I create little decorating "moments" in my home...I generally group three things together....so way to go Brenda!


You can see the green vase and the striped plant pot on my puzzle table here.  The pot came from Emily, my goddaughter, and the plant that Brenda painted into the pot came from Becky (Emily's mom) and I have several here and there around my house in other pots.

Well done ladies...the Anchor Image Exchange is complete...and was a big success!  

I wonder what's next?

2 comments:

  1. What a terrific project y'all undertook, MaryAnn! I was especially captivated by the distinctive elements in each individual interpretation here, and I love the original Jonas Wood inspiration anchor image.

    Question: Did you create an envelope with liner for yourself???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! We all enjoyed it!

      I actually thought about creating an envelope.....but it would have been silly mailing it to myself. But now that I think of it...I could have used the envelope for something else. You just have to smile at the things that cross our minds.

      Delete