C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Anchor Image Exchange #1

Subtitle: Ponder and Play

I will have to say....this Anchor Image Exchange project was both challenging....and incredibly fun.  The images couldn't have been more different...and each one sent me on a unique creative journey.

I got Tracie's image of a window first....and it came with this quote: "You are looking at the world from your window, that's good, but there is something missing here, something very big: You must also look at your window from the world to see yourself!"  Mehmet Murat ildan

After quite a bit of pondering....
I came up with a wacky idea....and just went with it. 


I decided to use one of my blind continuous line self portraits I did while taking  the "Funky Faces In Stitch" class with Gina Ferrari. I wanted "me" in the window...and this version of me seemed just right.

Tracie enjoyed hearing about that class here on the blog....and ended up doing her own blind self portrait. And I ended up recreating her drawing in stitch and sending it to her as a gift.  You can see that project here: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2022/11/friendly-face.html

I loved this class....and this post shows some of my advanced process for doing some of my funky faces towards the end of the class: 

After coloring in a copy of one of my drawings I cut it out and auditioned several backgrounds.  

In the end I typed out random words and phrases that I hope describe me....how I would like the world to see me. 

I cut out a purple window grid from a gelli print...because Tracie lives in a purple house...so why not! The anchor image house was pink....purple made perfect sense.

I wanted the illusion of shutters....and wanted include a window box. I had to ponder and play for a while and there's lots of evidence of that all around in this photo. I'm chuckling now...because this simple lined paper looks pretty good....less busy. 

But in the end I came across a printed image of my rolled paper tubes that is the header for my blog....and it reminded me of the lines on a shutter. And it oozes MaryAnn!

I used some of my loose watercolor flowers and leaves in the window box.  And there's some of that lined paper being put to use as the window box.


Finally, I edited my ramblings a bit for the back. My rendition of Tracie's anchor image is a little wacky....and I had a blast pondering....playing....and putting it together.


I found some complimentary paper for the envelope liner....and Tracie's anchor image project was ready to go.


When Tracie was choosing her image....she had narrowed it down to four photos of a window.  

She chose just one to send around to the rest of us....but her own card included four separate windows representing different aspects of her life. It was fun hearing all the details and stories about her decisions and painting process. Her watercolor images are just precious...and she tucked in a cat...or two on all her cards.
Brenda created a scene from the outside looking into her own home.  It included her dog Farley who is always at the window greeting everyone....and her beautiful hydrangea garden right outside. I love the mix of watercolor....and an actual photograph of Farley.


Becky's window was reflective of her mood at the time....quiet and reflective....and like the cat....sometimes just hanging on! Some of the pieces and parts of her card were dimensional and the color scheme has such a moody....and cozy vibe!

2 comments:

  1. What fantastic creative energy is radiating in all directions from this Anchor Image Project! I just keep reading, rereading, enlarging each photo in the lightbox, following each link, and starting all over again. SO much to explore and enjoy!

    Your window card is magnificent, MaryAnn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's quite a delightful reaction Dotty! A great way to start my day! Thanks for cheering us on....we all had a lot of fun with it. Three more anchor images to go!

      Delete