C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, December 1, 2023

Christmas Moments

The needles on hackmatack tree around the corner continue to drop....

and I'm loving that the tiny little pine cones are more visible now.

I am also reminded how much I enjoy the silhouettes of the bare trees this time of year. Pine cones and nests are visible now...and you get to really appreciate the geometry and beauty of the tree branches.

Every season has something special to offer!

I can't help but celebrate some of my favorite Christmas things every year....so I've decided to share one little Christmas Moment around my home every day until Christmas. I know not everyone celebrates Christmas....but really...these are just little moments of joy.

Christmas Moment #1

On the bookshelf in the living room is my JOYFUL Santa that Paul gave me years ago. He knows me well. I often pair it with the hand carved JOY by Rob Sheridan.  

And as I was dusting...and nesting Jane's handmade Nantucket Lightship baskets....

       look who I found!



4 comments:

  1. Your joy is wonderfully contagious, MaryAnn. I think we need a joy pandemic!

    Love those tiny pinecones. I remember one year collecting a bunch of dried tiny pinecones and other types of small seed pods, etc., from a trail near my home. I used to set my collection out on display in a simple wooden bowl every December.

    I drove to a friend's house this morning on back roads and was acutely joyfully aware of tree silhouettes, the linework of branches, and vistas available in this season that are hidden in spring and summer. I drove along with a happy little hum/hymn in my heart.

    Joy to the world, Santa!

    And looky who was hiding in a basket!!!

    I thought of you at dinner time this evening when Dave and I enjoyed a yummy Thanksgiving style dinner, made partly with leftovers from Thanksgiving 2023 but more notably with leftover turkey from 2022 that's been in our freezer : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "joy pandemic"....yes!

      I'll be watching those pinecones....and I'm totally with you on the winter sky. Paul and I were counting the big squirrel nests we saw this morning.

      Paul and I are going to have one more modified leftover meal tonight....the rest is in the freezer including several containers of fabulous broth for winter soups.

      Delete
  2. You HAVE to smile when you see that joyful Santa! And there's Betty!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete