C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Other Moments

This Christmas Moment journey has been fun for me so far....thank you so much for following along. Originally I wasn't going to decorate as much this year.  But this project has nudged me along...and I've enjoyed the process of setting up and celebrating these little Christmas Moments in my home.  

But I am well aware that Christmas Moments aren't just the decorations and little vignettes...there are also actual moments in time....connections and experiences that are especially welcomed and needed this time of year.

So on day 16 I'm celebrating Other Christmas Moments.

Every year Linda gives me a digital Advent Calendar from Jacquie Lawson.   All month long I've been exploring a charming Edwardian Village, decorating trees and cookies, watching videos, playing games, and doing puzzles as I work my way through the Advent Calendar.  

The outdoor scene is full of animated characters and interactive tasks....

....and there are lots of activities to do in this cozy living room. One of my favorite games is smashing Christmas ornaments.  It's oddly satisfying.

Exploring the calendar each day is a moment...or two...or sometimes three when I pause...and just sit and be entertained.

Thank you Linda!

I love moments when I interact with blog readers.  I learned a few days ago that Melodie is also seeking out a Christmas Moment every day. That makes me smile.

Dotty was inspired to put this wreath together after ordering the outdoor berries I recommended.  She can reuse the garland every year and change up the bow if she wants to.  
Then when Dotty saw Betty on my tree skirt a few days ago it reminded her of a tradition from her past.

Dotty doesn't have a tree this year....but wondered if she could recreate her tradition of displaying Christmas children's' books under her large poinsettia this year rather than under a tree.  The answer is a clear and resounding yes!  
And there are Christmas Moments in other people's homes....like when I get to see the progress on Margie's Advent puzzle...like I did this past Thursday.  

And to see how Alyson's Christmas card is the perfect addition to one of Margie's displays.  Paul and I got the same glittery tree card....and it's one of my favorites.


Speaking of cards...what a wonderful moment it is when I go to the mailbox to find a few cards from friends and family. 

I adore this little handmade moment at Janice's house.


Then there's that moment a week or so ago when I put together the big blue ornament and knew I had to make a path from the top to the bottom. 

And it's always good to have Paul in the background while I'm forging my path. Any path.

It was a happy moment this morning when I finished the Merry and Bright ornament puzzle...and got to pick the next one.  It's another holiday repeat and I'm looking forward to to the softer colors and whimsical holiday scene. So many Other Christmas Moments to celebrate.


4 comments:

  1. I have been loving your Christmas moments! And those of your followers. I'm a puzzler as well and like the Christmas repeats from years past. Too bad there isn't an easy way to share them back and forth. Since I live in Texas, that'd be quite the journey! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to hear from another puzzler who likes to revisit the Christmas repeats. Yes....I wish there was an easy way to share. I put one of my puzzles in every birthday or holiday box that I send....I love to share! Have a wonderful Holiday Season there in Texas!

      Delete
  2. I offer up a resounding YES! to 'other moments,' MaryAnn.

    For me, the other moments are often very everyday moments. The element that elevates them is that they are unpredictable and outside the self-inflicted and cultural pressure of meeting expectations of the season.

    One such 'other moment' from a few days ago —— I'd put a surprise something into the mail and was internally smiling at the thought of its arrival at the home of its intended recipient sometime this week. Instead, it ended up back in MY mailbox with a handwritten message from our mail carrier on the envelope directing me to TAKE TO POST OFFICE because I'd miscalculated the needed postage! I laughed at my oops and headed to the p.o. the following morning. My Christmas moment was a few sweet minutes of connected conversation with the postmistress who waited on me, a little 'nothing' that shone light into my day and into holiday season 2023.

    ———

    Thanks for giving air time to my wreath and book-encircled poinsettia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! Yes....there's nothing quite as sweet as those unexpected everyday moments of light. I love how your turned your postal situation into an opportunity for connection. I enjoy chit chatting with the clerks and tellers....and thank them for working or complimenting them on something that caught my eye. Why not turn a nothing into a something!

      Delete