C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Baubles and Orbs

I haven't done much puttering in my studio lately....I know more creative time will come after Christmas and I'm looking forward to that.  Right now...I'm choosing other things. But yesterday I was compelled to make a simple little tag to honor the season.

I cut these little baubles out of a catalog several weeks ago and they've been hanging around the studio ever since....pun intended.  I appreciate the non traditional colors....and they remind me of the bowl of ornaments at Margie's.

I knocked down the sheen on the image with matt medium and used metallic paper strips for the background. I glued on the baubles and added a little texture with a tiny bit of white paint. It's bright and happy.

Speaking of baubles....I thought I would re-share a project I did a year ago during a free class by Esté MacLeod called Creative Circle.  

I wrote about my process here:

I had a lot of fun making this wreath....and now that I look at it again....it reminds me of the colors in Margie's baubles too!



I do love baubles....but I think marbles are my favorite orb....and the subject of Christmas Moment #17.  

Every winter I put lights in my bowl of art marbles....and they come on every day from 4:00 to 10:00.

There are some beautiful handmade marbles here...one has a silver star in the center...and one is filled with liquid and has colorful bits and bobs floating inside.  

I'll enjoy this non traditional Christmas Moment glow all winter long.

3 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, your baubles had me instantly opening each photo link in a new tab and then enlarging it so I could take in all the magnificent details but you really stopped me in my tracks with that bowl of marbles with twinkle lights. WOW. What lights do you use that have a timer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad when something catches your eye! They have these little LED timer lights everywhere now....and that's mostly what I used around in all my displays. Some I've had for years....but I pick up a few new ones every year. They some in bright colors, warm or cool white and shapes....like the stars I have in the living room and the snowballs on my window sill. I've gotten them at garden centers, hardware stores,....anywhere they sell lights. They're battery operated and have a setting that when you turn them on....they stay on for 6 hours and come on every day at that time. I set mine to be on from 4 to 10. I recently found some at Walmart that are shorter....just 18 little seed lights....and those are really handy. Some of my strings are really long and unwieldy. These little lights are one of my favorite holiday decorations. Of course...then you have to buy batteries.

      I am able to hide the small battery pack under my marbles....and the lights are strung on thin wire....so you don't even notice the wore....and the lights just glow.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for all the intel, MaryAnn! You are my go-to gal : )

      Delete