C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Colors and Textures

I've had several colorful and creative interactions/events in the past few days....and I want to share them all. But I'll start with just one....and spread the rest out over the next couple posts. They were all meaningful and full of joy.

My neighbor and friend Dan INSISTED that I get to the Portland Museum of Art to see Woven....an exhibition by Jeremy Frey...a seventh-generation basket weaver from the Wabanaki Tribal Nation. It was a moving and powerful experience...and I'm so glad Dan encouraged me to go.

"This show is thousands of years in the making. It comes from the people who are from this land, who help to make it possible. As such, it is dedicated to the Wabanaki people." Jeremy Frey 

"Each of his baskets has a unique personality that seamlessly weaves the contemporary with decades of family tradition. One finds themselves getting lost in his patterns, attention to detail, and profound accuracy." Phyllis Rappaport



I watched a video of his process....from making his molds....to cutting down the ash trees and stripping the canes and finally the intricate weaving of the baskets.  It was breathtaking. I did a lot of close looking and put together these photo montages highlighting some of the colors and  textures.

The detailed and intricate patterns were absolutely stunning. 



Sea urchins are a signature form of Jeremy's baskets.





6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, MaryAnn! I have to echo your words—those detailed and intricate patterns are absolutely stunning! What a feast for the senses. And the mind. to think of the 'thousands of years in the making.'

    WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am so glad I took the time to go. I was humbled by the skill of this young man.

      Delete
  2. Oh, just beautiful. I wish the exhibit were there just a bit longer. I’d love to see Jeremy’s art in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...wouldn't that be nice. I think it's traveling around....so maybe you can catch it down your way.

      Delete
  3. I was blown away by this exhibit. I went to see it twice! You have put together a wonderful exhibit of all the different examples of his work. ~ Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think going back twice is a good idea. Dan, who recommended I go went three times. It was a feast for the eyes!

      Delete