C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, September 21, 2024

"Fabulous Free Motion"

I'm a few weeks into an online class called Fabulous Free Motion taught by Izzy Moore...an artist I admire. I've taken a few of Izzy's classes and I always come away with skills that I can apply to so many things.  

We are starting with the basics...practicing our stitch flow and doing simple projects with interesting techniques. We're also preparing backgrounds that we'll use in future projects and I'm doing my best to keep up. I could spend hours practicing.....free motion stitching is really an art. 

This is three layers of fabric...one of which is a meshy metallic gold.  

After I stitched...I cut away some of the layers revealing the fabrics underneath. It's often called reverse applique.  
We're also working on simple landscapes.


Today I worked on project using scrap pieces that we will cut shapes from then machine applique onto other backgrounds....I think.  No matter what we're going to do with these "tutti frutti" pieces....they were kind of fun. 

I started with a pile of scraps...and adhered them all onto a piece of fusible webbing. It's like a crazy quilt and could be cut into hearts or flowers. And it has fusible on the back...so will be easy to apply and stitch. We'll see.

Here's one in another color scheme...where I trimmed up the edges. I can use overlays like sheer fabrics to knock this down a bit...it's a little wild. But like I always say....stitching changes everything.  Stay tuned to see what fabulous free motion project this turns into. 

It pairs well with these beautiful asters at the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment