C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Ready to Frame

A gift of onions from Alex came beautifully braided.....and it captured my heart.

Sarah, from Winslow Farm, has commissioned me to put together 7 ready to frame 5 x 7 cyanotype prints for an event. So over the past several days I've been assembling and adding to my collection so I can give her several choose from. The prints were already made....but I've been trimming and stitching them onto watercolor paper and thought I would share my process here again.

I make most of my prints on mixed media paper cut to about 4 by 6. The small substrate helps me with placement and design...then I know the print will work for a card or a piece to frame. 

I trim the print down to fit whatever card I'm using or trim it to 3 1/2 by 5 1/2 to mount on white 5 x 7 watercolor paper for framing. I use inexpensive heavy watercolor paper for my background frame which is easier and more affordable than matting them. And...I like the stitching. 

The watercolor paper is 9 by 12 so I cut it into two pieces roughly 5 1/2 by 7 1/2.  I used to cut the backgrounds exactly 5 by 7....but it is nearly impossible for me to perfectly center the print on the card. So I eyeball the center on the slightly larger paper and secure it with double sided tape and take it to the sewing machine. If there is a place in the print where the image goes off the edge

...that's where I start and stop my stitching helping to hide any irregularity. 

I pull my threads to the back....tie a knot...and secure the ends down with some colorful washi tape.

The tape may not be necessary...but I actually like this little colorful...and almost crafty....homemade moment on the back.

Now I just need to sign it.

After it's stitched....I can easily trim it to 5 x 7 with my rotary cutter with the print perfectly centered.  

I have twenty one prints ready to frame....and it was nice having the dining room table cleaned off so I could lay them all out.  And...by the way...I'm still using the same first bottles of solution. But they're finally almost empty.


There's no better light to showcase that beautiful blue....than the natural light in the backyard. This was a double exposure print....I may have mentioned it before.  It was an underprocessed fern that I recoated...and over-printed with a large wabi-sabi leaf. 

 
And looking closely here today I had forgotten I added a swirl stencil the first time around...and there's just a hint of if. I think it adds a little texture and interest.


4 comments:

  1. The braid of onions is delightful! So textural, and such a wonderful blend of beauty and function. When I scrolled back for a second look I had a sudden flash of memory from WAY back in the day when my mom used to braid my hair. I was probably in kindergarten or first grade. My mom asked me a question—I have no memory of what she asked nor what I replied but have a vivid memory of the discomfort I felt in not telling the truth and being certain that, even though my mom was behind me braiding, she could see right through me to know I was telling a lie!

    However, I'm telling the truth when I say Sarah is gonna have a devil of a time limiting her selection of framable cyanotype prints to only seven! They are all fabulous! The double-exposure fern and wabi sabi leaf with swirl stencil evokes a feeling of being out on a pond in a canoe taking in the gift of flora that has dropped down and landed on the pond's surface, sending out gentle swirls as it drifts. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your braid memory Dotty. It's interesting how moments like that stick with us....and probably inform other moments in our lives.

      Thanks for the vote of confidence on the prints.....especially the double exposure one. I didn't think of the water rings connection...but now I see it. And the fact that it's so subtle evokes the gentleness of the swirl in the water. Every little decision I make when printing....is only revealed at the end....I never know how something is going to turn out. That's the mystery and the magic.

      Delete
  2. These are just gorgeous! Is this the dame place that sells your match boxes?
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! No...this is the farm stand/store nearby Winslow Farm. Folly 101 is downtown is where I see the matches. I may take some prints in to show her too....but I have to get my nerve up.

      Delete