C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Magic

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely place. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."  Roald Dahl

Today was a full and wonderful day with family...friends...and Joe, the technician from Dave's World.  All three of our heat pumps were cleaned and serviced....so we're good for a couple more years! Phew!

So this evening...I'm going to pause and celebrate a little magic that was hidden in plain sight.

The bugbane/snakeroot in the backyard garden is starting to bloom. I've been enjoying it from the patio...but took the time to take a closer look. The long fuzzy blooms are made up of tiny individual white flowers....and they're just a delight up close. 

And I love what the camera sometimes does with the background when you zoom in on something...creating tiny little beads of light! Kind of magical!


Almost every evening I take an after dinner walk and I'm hyper aware of my surroundings being open to whatever it has to offer. I take different routes...but as I walked along the side of my condo...the blooms on the seven-sons tree just glowed in the early evening light. The photo doesn't do it justice...but it felt magical. 

The blooms are only on new growth...so most of them are at the top...but this distant view on my walk helps me fully appreciate them.


And on that same walk I found one lone dandelion that had gone to seed....so I picked it and carried it with me for a little while. The details of the seeds are amazing!

I held it up to the setting sun but couldn't look directly into it...so had to guess where the camera was. I think I did pretty well capturing the magic.

I took a couple strolls last night in search of the full harvest moon. I loved being out at dusk...and then again after dark. It was a bit overcast...but I was able to finally catch the moon just as it peeked over the trees at about 8:30. It wasn't vibrant like photos I've seen online....but it was beautiful and still full of magic. 

I often think of the fact that the moon is only fully full for a brief moment before it starts to wane. 

So many magical moments to soak in....so I have to pay attention.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inviting me to your magic show, MaryAnn! I especially love the magic you captured in less that a second of opening an aperture to the moon. I walked with my sister Marjorie this morning along the Ipswich River with first light making itself known in the east from across the salt marsh and the robust moon setting to the west and made all the more captivating by a wispy cloudscape. Magic everywhere!

    ReplyDelete