C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, September 14, 2024

Smitten

This leaf caught my eye this morning. It had lost all its true edges...and what was left was an interesting weathered and worn version of its former self.  It's like the edges had been aged and burned. I was smitten with the perfectly imperfect artfulness of it.

Then I saw this amazing hydrangea at Patty's. And again...I was smitten....but this time with the nearly perfect soft transition from the white to pink. 

There's beauty in perfection...at the same time there's beauty in imperfection.

Paul spied a garage sale while on his bike and clued me in. It was just a short distance from the condo....so it became the destination for a morning walk. The lawn was covered in vintage...mostly painted chairs....and I was smitten. All of a sudden I thought I needed chairs. But I exercised restraint....at the time

The scene was like an art piece on its own. The owner of the home was a wedding planner....so used the chairs for some of her gigs. How fun is that!

I showed Patty the photo when I was helping her with a garden project...and we got right in her car and drove down and sat in almost every chair. She purchased a couple fabulous soft mid-century modern ones in a bright aqua blue. I didn't get a photo....but I know where she lives!

With restraint out the window...these two little purple chairs came home with me...they were quite cortable. I will paint them another color....and maybe pass them on to Sam for his new apartment to go along with the kitchen table I snagged for free a month or so ago. We'll see if he's smitten with them too. 

2 comments:

  1. Smitten right along with you, MaryAnn! The leaf reminds me of the first time I was introduced—as an early elementary school aged kid—to singeing the edges of paper to simulate an 'old' document. The hydrangea reminds me of purchasing Pinky Winkys for my dad to celebrate three birthdays in a row, one of which is now in my own garden after I adopted it following my dad's death and the sale of his house.

    I was not smitten by the yard sales in my neighborhood area but am very smitten with the one you had access to. Those chairs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think we all did that with paper back in the day!

      And I'm not sure if Patty's hydrangea is Pinky Winky....but that is the best name ever! There were several large ones behind the church sign in Lexington...and I loved how that peeked over the top! I'm so glad you retrieved on from your dad's yard.

      Right! Those chairs!

      Delete