C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, December 16, 2022

Corn Husk

Did all of us crafters go through a corn husk doll phase? Or was it just a country farm thing?  

I grew up making dolls....wreaths....and ornaments out of corn husks.  And it continued into my young adult life making things for friends and the annual church Christmas fair.

Our two boys had best friends who were also brothers....and each of our homes was a second home for them.  The boys had sleepovers every Friday switching from one house to the other.  Neither one of us had family in the area.....so this was such a gift.  Paul and I enjoyed our regular date nights....sometimes just staying home enjoying the quiet. 

I made this little corn husk scene as a gift to that special family...Deb, Dan, Jeff, and Peter way back when....and Deb has saved it all these years. She texted me this photo today....and I was touched. It reminded of the what a pivotal role the Bates/Snite family played in our lives and all the Christmases we shared. I have a grateful heart.

I've let all my corn husk dolls go long ago.....and just recently....on my urging....Margie retired hers too.  But here they are...from a post back in 2017 when I wrote about church craft fair crafts.....I've done a few over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment