C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, December 30, 2022

Downtown

"Nobody gets what they want every time, but actually you can get quite a lot if you stay flexible, grateful, and open-minded."  Adam J. Kurtz

Paul and I took advantage of a relatively mild winter day and took a Friday field trip to downtown Portland.  Sometimes the rocky coast or a quiet beach is what we're looking for....but today we searched out the urban/commercial/working waterfront of Portland Harbor. 

After a leisurely lunch, we walked along Commercial Street going down alleys and wharfs in search of interesting views and glimpses into the the world along the waterfront.  It did not disappoint.


The further we went down this particular path....the more familiar it seemed.


We went one wharf further...and sure enough.....I knew right where we were.


Widgery Wharf! 
Someday I'm going to ignore the no trespassing signs and walk all the way to the end.  If I ever actually came across a person...I would ask for a tour.



Drawn in by this photograph by Eric Storm I saw in Instagram....

photo by Eric Storm
...I searched out Widgery Wharf just at the start of the shut-down in March of 2020.  It ended up being a magical experience....and I wrote about it here: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2020/03/widgery-wharf.html

Eric, and other photographers have captured Whidery Wharf from other angles....which inspired us to go one wharf further where I took this photo from the backside. The reflections were magical!

Sometimes just what you need....is right downtown.   

I ended up purchasing that winter photograph Eric took of Widgery Way.  It reminds me to take the time for an adventure....especially the ones right in my own downtown.

Here's a recent photo Eric took of the sunrise at Widgery Wharf: 

I guess I'll need to get up early one of these mornings and head downtown again.

No comments:

Post a Comment