C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

JOY

"I begin with an idea, then it becomes something else."  Pablo Picasso

I had an idea for a bright and cheery Christmas card....
and this was just going to be the background.


I used the Kawandi quilting concept overlapping squares of painted papers tacking them down with a spot of glue as I went along. I've done this before with paper....so it was familiar territory. But I will admit it seemed a little chaotic at this point.

I trimmed it up....and took it to the sewing machine.  Once it was stitched....I didn't think my original idea was going to work.....and I actually liked it just the way it was.....colorful, happy and simple.

The only thing I wish I would have done before I stitched was to add a very light whitewash to soften and unify it a bit.  That's a relatively new technique for me....so I don't often think of it in time.

 

My plan was to have a little JOY on the outside...thinking it might feel part of the quilt. But it ended up on the inside instead....and maybe that's even better.  

It's nice to be surprised by JOY!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Roseanne! It's going to someone pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card brings JOY to me this morning. Love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your kind words bring me JOY! Hope your day is Merry and Bright!

      Delete
  3. Can whitewash be added after stitching? Since I do mostly fabric I’m not very familiar working with paper
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could be.....and I'd like to try that sometime. And I might have done that but it's already in the mail. Thanks Lily!

      Delete