C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, December 26, 2022

Daily Routine

Another Christmas is behind us....and it's time to get back to my daily routine.  I love my daily routine!

I've celebrated some significant events in my goddaughter's life with Selma. I adore Selma.....and I adore Emily. 

Selma is a sweet little sheep who figured out that the key to happiness was found in her daily routine.  She would wake up....eat a little grass....play with her children until lunchtime...exercise in the afternoon....have a chat with Mrs. Miller in the evening...and finally fall fast asleep.  Even when offered more time and money, Selma kept it simple. She knew what made her happy....and she didn't need or want anything more. 

When Emily graduated from high school...I gave her the book. Yes...it's a children's book.  But some of the best lessons can be learned from children's books.  And when she graduated from college I felted her a little Selma...which I wrote about here:
https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2015/01/selma-sheep.html
This is one of my favorite photos of me and Emily.....


.....and now this is another favorite when I visited her new home this past summer.  
I couldn't believe she had a treehouse in her new backyard.


Another significant event is happening in Emily's life....she and her partner Keegan are having a baby in March....and it was time for Selma to make an appearance.

Inspired by the skills I learned in the Funky Faces class...I made a Selma wall hanging for the nursery as a Christmas gift to Emily and Keegan.


I mounted it on a deep canvas paint panel...and used muted...but colorful fabrics.  It just HAD to be colorful....but believe it or not I did practice restraint.


I started with colorful dots for the background....and just jumped in.


My intention was to thread paint selma in white thread.....starting with a base layer of white paint. But for some reason I had a feeling that the white thread painting could go terribly wrong.  I'm just not that good at it yet.   So I added a second coat of paint....


..... and outlined Selma in black thread 
adding in the details found in the drawings in the book.


I did thread paint her name.....after coloring it in with red paint pen first. I jumped over from letter to letter and clipped the threads in between at the end. 


As I wrote to Emily in my Christmas note...."as I have gotten older....more and more my happiness is found in the simple pleasures of my daily routine."  And I am certain that Emily and Keegan will find happiness in the daily routine with their new little boy. They are going to be great parents.


4 comments:

  1. How lucky Emily is to have such a creative godmother! I love the nursery wall-hanging—it’s adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....it was a fun project for me. I wished I would have made a few different decisions...but generally I'm pretty happy with it.

      Delete
  2. Selma is absolutely adorable! What lucky parents to receive this precious gift!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! They are two pretty special people and will make great parents.

      Delete