C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

A Little Love

"It wasn't for recognition, it was completely selfless. And that's what made it feel so magical. There was beauty in the simplicity and sincerity of his gesture." Sierra Fahrman

Paul and I found a handful of sentimental found objects this morning on our walk....and they are part of a very heartwarming (pun intended) Portland, Maine story that is 40+ years in the making....and still going strong.

We picked up three of these of these bright red hearts prints....and they may be my favorite found objects in a while. 

Somehow while they were in my hand I inadvertently took a close-up photo of a heart.....and I couldn't love the solid red photo more.

Since 1979 a Valentine's Day Bandit (with a few helpers) secretly left red hearts all over the city of Portland right before Valentine's Day.  They were everywhere...and they just made people happy....and the anonymity was part of the charm.

But Kevin Fahrman's name was finally revealed as the Valentine's Day Bandit after having died unexpectedly at age 67 this last April.   

Kevin's daughter Sierra wanted to keep the tradition going so started a campaign to keep the her father's legacy alive.  And boy did the city respond.There were hearts everywhere.....big and small...on store fronts and statues...and hanging from historic buildings and construction sites.
It was so much fun to drive through the city.....

and see the love and support.

It's stories like this that remind us that the simplest of gestures can pull a community together and spread a little love.

JOY!

6 comments:

  1. This is wholeheartedly my kinda story. Thank you for sharing it, MaryAnn.

    Your solid red photo also warmed my heart, and brought back fond memories of a similar solid color photo that graced my own life with a fun story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty.....it's my kind of story too. I'd love to hear your solid color photo story sometime.

      Delete
    2. Huh … it occurs to me that maybe Blogger doesn't allow for links to be shared in the comments. I'll resend my solid color photo story via email.

      Delete
    3. Blogger is just a mystery to me much of the time. I'll check out the email.

      Delete
  2. The passing of your Valentine Bandit and the dedication to carry on his mission made the news here in our Portland. Sad news and amazing the devotion that others will carry it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's fun! It really was a good story....so I'm pleased that it reached the "other Portland."

      Delete